Wednesday 2 September 2009

Loch Ness Marathon Training week 11

Best week yet.

It started on Tuesday where I did a speedwork session of 1.5 mile times 3 with 1/2 mile recoverys averaging 12 minutes per rep on quite a hilly circuit. Then Wednesday was an easy 10 miler with as many hills as possible incorporated.

Then Thursday was an 11 mile tempo run! With the first 6 miles being uphill into a head wind so I was delighted to average 8.30 minute miles for the first 6. Then I upped it for the downhill with 2 short sharp up hills mixed in for the last 5 miles coming in at 1.31.04. So it was very pleasing.

After last weeks early morning Saturday long run, I wanted to do it again but this time a 20 miler. I had the added pressure of having volunteered for the Pollock Park, Park run which started at half 9 and volunteers have to be there at 10 past ish. So nothing like a bit of pressure! I got to pollock park at 5.55am and started the run at 6am. The first 8 miles were all up hill, then the next four were up and down. Then the next 8 were mainly down hill with some short steep hills thrown in finishing with a lap of Pollock Park which I included just in case I had to cut it short and not be late for volunteering duties! I made it however in 3.05.59 which is pretty much bang on 4 hour marathon pace! So I was delighted and giving out numbers at the park run finish was a good warm down.

So in total over 4 runs I ran 51 miles for the week! Which is my highest mileage week ever!

Like last Sunday a hill walk was planned for Sunday with good friends Steven and Liz. Steven is doing the 3 peaks challenge (Ben Nevis (Scotland), Scafell Pike (England) and Snowden (Wales) in 24 hours! which is over 3400 metres of ascent!) in a couple of weeks so wanted a challenging hill walk. So we planned to the 4 munros known as the Arrochar Alps or try and do as many as possible! We started the walk at 8am and did Ben Vorlich first, the ascent was pretty straight forward but the descent was steep and tough. After this we crossed the dam and headed up a very steep Ben Vane. When I reached the top you couldn't see a thing! I actually wondered if it was the top as it was just a cairn as oppose to the trig point on Ben Vorlich, but it definetley was the top. We then headed down Ben Vane to the foot of Ben Imme. By this time, time was getting on, so we decided just to go round Ben Ime and head for the ridge between Ben Imme and Ben Narnain where we just headed down the easy path. The walk lasted 11 hours in all and about 1800 metres of ascent/descent. I probably learned more about hill walking that day than any other.

A few lessons

- Know your own strengths and weeknesses and also that of the people you are walking with
- Have back up plans, when things don't go to plan.
- If you are going to do steep ascents and descents train your legs for them!
- And thank goodness I brought a map and compass as often visibility was zero!


The Recovery

On the day I felt ok, but the Monday I was sore! It hurt to walk especially up and down stairs. Tuesday it was still just as painfull and even today! Wednesday! It is still sore but gradually getting better. So needless to say training has been impacted and I have had to miss Tuesday and today's run. But at the same time I almost see this as a blessing in disguise. I am due to do the Great Scottish Run on Sunday so this is almost like a mini taper. Hopefully I will be able to do this and it would be even better to get a light jog in Friday or Saturday.

If I am still stiff i will just light jog it round. If I am ok, I plan to run there and back at about 10 min mile pace (light jog). Then run the half marathon at hopeful marathon pace (8-30 to 9 minute miles).

No comments: