Sunday 18 July 2010

17/07/10 - Clyde Stride



The run up

Clyde Stride was always going to be a special race for me, being my first ultra. So my excitement/nervous levels rocketed from Thursday onwards when the taper was fully kicking in. This though was the time I was mentally preparing myself. I was asked by Lee MacLean, the organiser to predict my estimated time. I had 2 goal times in mind - 8 hours and finish under the 11 hour time limit. As soon as I sent it, I thought maybe I should have done sub 9 hours as I really wanted to take every ounce of pressure off. But I decided just to leave it and not think about what I predicted.

I wasn't sure how far the last section was, as it could have been up to 12 miles. So since my parents were meeting me at the finish, they said they would meet me at Crossford, so that I could get a fresh water bottle to see me through to the finish. My Dad then said something that took all the presure off. He said what time I expected to be there and I said it would be there after 3pm. Then he said he didn't care how long they would have to wait, as he wanted to make sure I wasn't pushing myself to make times. Wise words! So he said just to phone him at about 3 then he would know where I was and how long roughly he would have to wait. I decided my approach to the race would be to enjoy the journey as much as possible and not to even think about the finish. As my view is if you enjoy the journey the finish will come to you.

The night before the race, I got all my drop bags ready and kit all laid out ready for action.

Race day

I was up at 7am, ate a couple of Muller rices then my Mum picked me up and we were off to Partick Subway station/Morrisons. I got signed up, said hello to Lucy who I met at the Kintyre way,spoke to various other runners, then spent my time sipping my water. Time passed quickly and before we knew it, Lee was giving us the race briefing. I looked around at was like a whose who of ultra running in Scotland both marshals and runners. We then all crossed the road over to the cycle path to get to the start. I made my way to the back of the field. We were laughing because Lee was saying how flat the first section is but we were starting on quite a steep slope. But yes the first section is very flat apart from this!

GO GO GO!.... 1st section - Partick to Cambuslang

I had a plan for the flat sections. I set my Garmin so I could only see - The current lap time in the big screen then average pace and overall time in the small screen. The idea behind this was that I would only be focusing on small sections at a time and overall time just so I know when 6 hours had passed to phone my parents. So the plan was to run for 12/13 minutes then walk for 2/3 minutes, then reset the current lap to 0.00. Every second walk break I would eat a sandwich or a gel, then 1 walk break per section that I was not eating I would do a video clip. I also stopped to take pictures which is a tactic I used to make slow me down early on.

And we were off. Grant Jeans took off as expected, followed by Paul Hart and Lucy Colquhoun. It was amazing seeing these guys take off at the start of such a long race and knowing they can sustain it. I immediately got chatting to a guy Colin and we ran together all the way along to Cambuslang. We ran along the Clyde (surprisingly enough :-) ) passing the Secc and BBC/ITV buildings. Then through to Glasgow Green. After Glasgow Green I was surprised about how nice it was. We got chatting to a few other people here, including Audrey who was raising money for Blesma and running 4 marathons and an ultra in one year!

Due to the foot path being closed at one point we had to take a diversion round through Parkhead. At the time I thought we went the right way and just followed the diversion but looking at the map afterwards it looks like we ran maybe half a mile extra as the route diversion left at Shawfield bridge. But people around us seemed to be doing the same thing, so I wonder if everyone just did that. Anyway because we didn't know we went wrong we had nothing to be bothered about. I was quite glad still to be with Colin at this point because he knew the footpath diversion route and I really wasn't paying attention at all, I missed all the signs! When we got back down to the river we were now starting to look for Cambuslang bridge where the first checkpoint was. We reached a bridge that I knew was near Cambuslang, went up on to it. But no one was there and there was no track down the other side, so we saw a sign for the cycle path which I knew goes over a bridge and that would be the right way. So no time lost and we cruised into the first check point. When we got there Colin went off to chat to some of his buddies and got sorted. I ate a banana, finished my water and got more supplies for the next section. They were talking in the checkpoint how there was only a few left to come in. I wasn't surprised by this as I knew we were quite near the back, but I was surprised when I looked at my watch and saw 10.30 pace, I was more than happy with that!

2nd Section - Cambuslang to Strathclyde Park

A guy directed us across the bridge who I recognised as Ian Beattie who is one of the organisers of the West Highland Way race and a very experiencd ultra runner. Colin was still eating a sandwich so we walked for a few minutes. We had a quick 2 minute change over at the checkpoint and we were moving forward again so that was good. I was now on to familiar territory which was good news. Well apart from the grass and everything around the path was now up to waist height. Colin and I continued to have a laugh/chat. He is a funny guy and would set me off when we got to a steep downhill and he would laugh all the way down (probably had to be there, lol). There was one point where I got a bit worried going down to small bridge crossing a tributary before Blantyre farm road where I though my right thigh was going to go. But after walking up the hill I was running pain free again. At Blantyre farm road, I had made all the mistakes in training so I knew exactly where to go this time. We went over the steel bridge and bumped into 4 other people who had made the mistake I made in training and gone into Uddingston. I really like this next section as it gets into the trees and is nice trail. We ran behind the four, who were using a map. There were some points where they would say where to go, and at these points I knew you could go either way but I always seemed to go their way. Need to believe in myself a bit more as the other way was quicker.

There was a diversion which took us in and around the A725. I thought this would be quite long but it wasn't at all and we were back on the cycle track in no time. Here, there was 2 cyclists coming towards us. It was Jacqui and Stephen from my club! What a boost. They got my number and went to the checkpoint at Raith interchange, just outside Strathclyde Park. This is where Colin told me to go on, so I wished him luck and told him I'd probably see him soon, but that was the last time I saw him. When I got there I was feeling really good. My brother was there also and it was great to see him. They had my bag open, I restocked and had a banana. I noticed Paul Hart who I also met at the Kintyre way to the side. I was so confused about seeing him. He looked ok but then I thought he probably got here over an hour ago so had time recover. I wanted to find out what happened but at the same time I had a policy of not hanging about aid stations for too long. With the fast folk though it must be so easy to go too fast especially as these guys are properly racing ultras. He wished me a good race and on I went.

3rd Section - Strathclyde Park to Mauldslie Bridge

Stephen and Jacqui cycled along with me through Strathclyde Park. Where I noticed another few people who had taken the long way round to get into the park. Stephen said I was pulling away from them and later told me I looked really relaxed at that point. I recognised Ally form the Strathclyde park run and a few others with her. They offered me some food but I decided not to risk trying anything new, I appreciated the support though. I took a comfort break and again Stephen and Jacqui were really helpful sorting out my bag. Then I left them and was on down some nice trails. I started reeling in people here and also got talking to a few more folk - Vicky and Chris. Just at the gate before the fields in Carbarns Farm. I went through the gate with 3 other people who were deciding which way to go. I went straight through and followed the path round. I really like this bit as it just all opens up.

From where the farm is, I have not done the section before. I was really looking forward to Carddies bridge but unless its the small wooden bridge I went over, I must have missed it. I think it probably was for some reason I was expecting something massive! It was really nice that bit though again going through forest with some nice trails. It then turned on to a single track road up to A71, where there were some very enthusiastic marshals supporting, it gave me another big lift. I then got back on to the trail and more foresty trail running :-) You probably guess by now but I absolutley love trail running through forests and with the Clyde there it just tips it off. I remember in this section passing/seeing a lot of people. There was one point where the trail turns right downhill. I remembered this as the point were Alex and I turned back to New Lanark, 2 weeks earlier. You have no idea how good it felt to recognise this point and to know the third checkpoint was less than a mile away. I went into the checkpoint with about 4 other people with about 3 just behind that. I again went for a quick change over and I was first to leave.

4th Sectio - Mauldslie Bridge to New Lanark

The next section has a few really steep hills but I was power walking well up them. At this point because of the hills my run/walk strategy went a bit to pot. But I was still running more than I was walking and if I had a hill I would just extend the amount of time maybe to 20 minutes before resetting the lap. I was again lapping up the scenery and feeling really good still. When I got to Crossford, I saw my Mum on the bridge and I walked with her to the car. My brother and my dad were at the car with vaseline and fresh water. My parents said there was a couple of guys 100 yards ahead but I had no intention of chasing them down - if I overtake them/I overtake them (turns out I did overtake them as they took a wrong turning). The next bit was uphill quite a bit until Stonebyres power station. then it crosses over the dam and goes up a nice runable single track road joining onto the A71. Just as I reached where the A71 crosses the Clyde, I jumped out my skin as my Mum was shouting from the car if I wanted anymore water. I was fine though and appreciated the support once I had come back down from the clouds! I crossed the bridge and now I could smell the end. Some more fun trails down to the river then back up to the road.

I was there in New Lanark. I ran down the road, saw my parents again and gave them my bum bag. As soon as I left them I felt a small bit of cramp in my right calf! I actually burst out laughing - I was 1 mile away from the finish and I thought I might have to limp across the line. But somehow I walked for 10 metres shaking my leg and it went away and I was running again. I had no idea how long the out and back was but I was still running well and was determined even with the uphill to run as much as I could. I then saw a Clyde Stride sign which at first glance I thought was saying left to go further up the hill. I ended up going right up to it until my face was about 10cm away from it when I realised they wanted me to turn right back down the trail! I couldn't believe it! That is all you want me to go up?! ok. I cranked on the gas, I had far too much energy and must have been 8 minute miling down the hill. I passed the marshalls who I think were the ones that were marshaling the A71 crossing. Again they were so supportive and in great spirits. I reached the wall/entrance to New Lanark. And I'm sure it was Murdo the organiser of the Highland Fling telling me it was 100 yards to go.

The Finish

I could see the finish and everyone was clapping and cheering. Normally in races you finish with tonnes of people around you, but it was just me and I still hadn't seen anyone since the 3rd checkpoint. Lee handed me my goody bag and said well done. I almost thought there was something else I should be doing. So I asked and one of them suggested I should run back! haha!! I really felt I could have gone on but at the same time I was absolutely delighted to finish my first ultra. I would not have changed the way I approached it or ran it. In terms of time I can't actually believe it - don't know the offical time yet but the garmin showed 7 hours 38 minutes and I'm not sure when I clicked stop so it may be a few minutes quicker. But I absolutley smashed my gold target of 8 hours. So very, very pleasing. This race really had everything and is easily one of my favourite races I have ever run.

Question
Will I do this/an ultra again!?

Answer
Guess!!!

Thank you's

- to my parents for dropping me off picking me up and also supporting at Crossford.

- to my brother for his support at Strathclyde Park and Crossford

- to Stephen and Jacqui for their support at Strathclyde Park

- to every single marshall/registration people/everyone else involved in the run. And in particular thankyou to the race director Lee MacLean

- to Colin, who made the first 19 miles seem like nothing, what a laugh!

- Thank you to the folk at Giffnock North and Park run

- to the ultra community - you have no idea how much I have learnt from you about ultras. If you have a blog, for instance in the WHW blogs, I have probably learnt from you at one point or another. So thank you.

Video here: http://stuartmcbeath.blogspot.com/2010/07/clyde-stride-video.html

2 comments:

The Jimmi Henshite Experiences said...

Well done Stu, that's agreat time!I had hoped to cheer you on in Strathclyde Park, maybe next year?


Ian

Stuart said...

Cheers Ian! Yep I'll be back for more next year as long as it doesn't fill up too quickly. Well done on your 5 parkruns run, solid running especially with Loch Ness still plenty of time away.