Sunday 11 July 2010

Looking forward to Clyde Stride

I have decided not to dwell too much on this week and just give a brief overview of what happened rather than the usual depth. 2 reasons for this - 1. I think its still important to document weeks even if there not so good and 2. I want to channel all the positive energy into looking forward to next Saturday.

So in brief last week
Monday - Really good 7 mile run with gym session sandwiched in between
Tuesday - Ate too soon before the run even though it was just a muller rice so had to cut hard session short
Wednesday - day off
Thursday - Woke up with extremely sore back (think it might have been a trapped nerve) so another day off but loads of back stretches
Friday - day off but back was remarkably better
Saturday - Marshalled at Park run then a light gym session
Sunday - Went up to start of WHW did a couple of miles out and back

So glad to get this week out the way and probably a blessing in disguise as training is winding down anyway. I plan for next week is just easy runs on Monday and Wednesday then 2 days off before Saturday. Its getting close now and it is pretty much all I'm thinking about at the moment. Overall I am pleased with how my training has gone since Lochaber, getting in 1, 25 miler, 2, 30 miler and 1, 40 plus mile run. But during those runs I have run with the same person all the way. So in that respect, it is going to be a completley different race to anything I have ever done before.

I know for starter everyone is going to have different strategies and I need to make sure I stick to my plan. In the first 10 miles in particular and for the rest of the race there is going to be lots of yo yo ing (people overtake you, you overtake them). I fully expect the first leg to be the fastest leg of the race for me, as it is the flatest, but I need to make sure to find that easy rhythm and take walk breaks every 15 minutes at least. I don't really want to carry a watch but for that I will need it. So I think I might just reset it at each checkpoint. From Cambuslang onwards there are small steep hills dotted about which I will walk all of, but there are also some long flat stretches like through Strathclyde Park and beyond it for quite some time. Crossford onwards is where most of the hills are and I am prepared for them. I like how the race now finishes in New Lanark as it means a downhill finish.

I will be using the drop bag system meaning I put food drink in to drop bags at the start and they will be waiting for me at the checkpoints. On top of this I am getting my parents to meet me at Crossford with extra water to see me through to the end. I am also going to have extra supplies in case things don't go according to plan. The way I see it, if I can do the first 10 miles in 2 hours. Then I have 9 hours to go 30 miles which would be just over 3mph/3 hours for 10 miles, so should be walkable from there. This is of course the back up plan and I would like to finish slightly quicker!

I am also excited to see how this race pans out up front as since it is the first time it has been run, course records are up for grabs! Three names stand out in both the men and female categories as those I think will end up on the podium. In the mens, Grant Jeans, Paul Hart and Ritchie Cunningham. Grant Jeans won the D33 and came second in the Glasgow to Edinburgh Double marathon. On the flat I think he would be clear favourite but I am not too sure how good he is on hills. Paul Hart on the other hand, I have seen with my own eyes at Kintyre way relay that this guy is a machine on hills. Ritchie Cunningham just won the West Highland Way race so will be sure to be in amongst it at the end. The thing is with these sort of races is that some of these guys might just treat it as a training run as they have bigger things later, so that will play a factor too. I know from speaking to Paul he plans to do the 24 hour race in Perth in September and Ritchie is down for UTMB in August, I'm not to sure about Grant apart from I don't think he'll be treating it as a training run if he is planning on running it in under 4 hours 10!

In the womens race, Lucy Colquhoun has to be the favourite, with Gail Murdoch and Sharon Law I think will come 2nd and 3rd but again depends on who is treating this as a training run or a race etc. There are probably people I have missed that could also be up there but just not familiar with at the moment.

In other races, the Hardrock 100 took place last weekend and almost had a female winner. Diana Finkel was leading going into the last checkpoint but looked like she blew up or got injured meaning Jared Campbell took the win, with Diana coming second and 1st female. Badwater starts tomorrow and I am looking forward to seeing how Jamie Donaldson, whose blog I follow gets on, as she goes for 3 in a row. She is so enthusiastic and a real inspiration, I hope she does it.

So its onwards to Partick train station for the start of Clyde stride........Bring it on!

No comments: