Sunday 25 April 2010

24/04/10 - Glasgow Park run - Event 70

I am trying to do the park run at least every multiple of 10. So this was my run for the 70s. I wasn't originally going to run as I wasn't sure if I would be recovered in time after Lochaber the previous week. So I emailed Richard to offer help. He came back and said they've round about got enough volunteers but feel free to run it and help afterwards or we can use you from the start. So Friday night I got the email and decided I would run and give it a go.

My aim for the day was to try and get under 22 minutes for the first time ever and beat my 22.17 PB for five kilometers I set earlier in the year. I have done this event 6 times but 3 of them I was doing it either as part of my long run or just taking it easy. So this was my 4th proper attempt. I decided this time to take kilometer splits but turn the volume off so I wouldn't look at my watch. The first kilometre I knew should be the fastest as it is pretty much flat/slight downhill with a climb at the end. I did it in 4.10 and I felt like I went out too fast but that was the plan and I knew I should be able to hang on for the rest of the race. At the top of the hill for the first kilometer I caught up with club mate Martin Myant. The start suits him as he is a really fast downhill runner. I overtook him though and was surprised when he didn't over take me on the long hill down to the glade. The bottom of the glade climbing back up and round to the lap 1/2 split, I slowed as it is quite a climb back up. I was also beginning to feel my shins and felt I was slapping my feet along the downhills. Something I need to strengthen as I am just not use to going that fast even for 5k.

The fourth kilometer is mainly downhill and I was surprised after when I looked at my split and it was the same as the hilly 3k. I can only think that it was my shins and I slowed down so I know there is room here where I can reduce my PB further. This was the second lap and there was a young gun from Victoria park absolutely blitzed passed me. I actually had to do a double take as I was on the final lap and this guy usually finishes in 16-17 minutes. He must have just been taking it easy today then decided to speed it up a bit at the end. Going up the glade for the final time and for the last k, I was feeling good and overtook quite a few people. Including Ian Goudie who was on his first lap. Usually we would be quite close but he is just coming back from injury and it was just good to see him back out there. I went down the final stretch and saw Chris Parcell giving me a shout down the finish straight as he waited for his missus. Stopped the clock at 21.31! A PB by 46 seconds and to my surprise I finished 51st which is also by best placing in a park run apart from christmas day when I finished 16th out of 30. I thought this might be due to a lack of numbers, but this was 51 out of 300! This time last year I was finishing bang in the middle of the pack but this year I am moving up nicely.

My PB also puts me up with some other Parkrunners Glasgow parkrun PBs. I have now equalled Martin Myant's PB, I am one second off park run directors, Richard Leyton's and 23 seconds off Ian Goudie's PB. I have a bit of a way to go before touching Jacqui and Steven's PBs which are in the 20.40s but it is good to have something to aim for :-)

After I ran and caught my breath back I took over from Richard who was doing registration. It is the first time I have used the new scanners and I am well impressed! Scan the persons barcode, scan their position and that is it! For the barcodes that don't work I had to type in the barcode number but the speed of it all now is so much quicker than finding each name. It was a lot of fun and a good chat in the cafe afterwards. I really can't believe the amount of PBs I have got so far this year. I know there will come a time where it levels out but I going to keep training hard and see what happens.

1 k 4:10.17 4:10.17 6:44
2 k 4:14.98 8:25.15 6:52
3 k 4:32.61 12:57.76 7:20
4 k 4:29.2 17:26.96 7:15
5 k 4:04.38 21:31.34 7:02

No comments: