Sunday 17 October 2010

Easy does it - well maybe not!

I was expecting an easy week after Mugdock.  I felt I could have gone out on Monday but decided just to have a rest day.

Tuesday I thought I'd just do my 10k route at an easy pace, which after 2 miles turned into a tempo run and felt strong at the end of it.

Wednesday I did the 10k route again but this time at an easy pace.

Thursday I went up to the club and we did 1.04 mile reps times 4. I paced this session perfectly. The loop is a gradual downhill/flat for the first 3/4s then a steady slope up for the last quarter. Started off with a controlled 7 minute rep. Then the next one did 6.48 followed by 6.35 and 6.31.

Friday I did a 2.5 loop round Gogarburn with Alex.

Then Saturday I had the unusual experience of working. This meant not getting my park run fix. But to get me through I decided to spoil myself with a run in the Pentlands at 5pm.  I started off doing the Red Moss Revolution course backwards round the reservoir. I found a nice trail through the trees and up to the foot of Black hill. The race route goes right (in reverse) and round Black hill. But I went left and found a trail which gradually went round and eventually straight up Black hill. I ran probably half and walked half of the climb. I kept going on trails that would disappear and it took a while to find the main trail. But I knew where I was as it was such a clear night. Watching the sun go down, combined with the views over Edinburgh made this one of the best training runs I have done this year. When I got off Black hill I followed the path round Hare Hill and back down the road to the car park, making it a 10k loop.

Today I am exhausted from a very busy week, so just been chilling. Next week I am doing the National Cross country relays in Cumbernauld which I am looking forward too. I am also considering/almost definitely going to do the Run of the Mill hill race in Alva on the Sunday. I have never attempted 2 races on consecutive days before but it is quite common amongst runners so I'll see how I get on.

I have had a think about my training over the next few months. I have decided to stick with shorter distances since I am training for races of shorter distance. Then in December start to ramp up the long runs, ready for a full on assault on Highland Fling training starting in January.

No comments: