Wednesday 1 December 2010

Targets 2010 – Review

Since I finally had to give up to the snow today in getting to work. Thought I'd post how I have got on this year since I don't think I'll be 'racing' much in December at this rate! I set targets at the start of the year – and here is how I got on:
Half Marathon (PB 2009: 1.45.01, overall PB 1.40.19)

Bronze: Sub 1.50
Silver: Sub 1.40
Gold: Sub 1.35

So close to gold as my PB is now 1.35.36. I know with a more even paced race, gold would have been possible but at the same time I don’t think I would have enjoyed it as much. I always viewed my 2004 PB of 1.40, as my toughest PB from 2004 to beat. To get under 1.40 twice this year was just awesome.

Marathon (4.07.47)

Back up: Finish with a smile on my face
Bronze: Sub 4 hours
Silver: Sub 3.45
Gold: Sub 3.30

It was all going so well up to 15 miles, then the wheels started to fall off and by 19 miles where they well and truly fell off. By far my toughest race of the year physically and mentally but still 3.53 is a PB by 14 minutes. I was going to do Loch Ness but due to illness and not having done the long runs so decided against it. Looking back it would have been better to train for Clyde Stride with back to back long runs that way it would act as good training for Loch Ness too. But a good lesson learned and a great weekend in Fort William. I know I am capable of knocking lumps out this PB but at the moment I am not planning any more marathons but will get back to it one day as sub 3.30 is more than doable.

5K (PB 22.51)

Bronze: Sub 23 minutes
Silver: Sub 22 minutes
Gold: Sub 21 minutes

Was not expecting this at the start of the year, I thought it was quite an adventurous target like all my gold targets. But just shows you the difference running with a club makes. Totally smashed my PB twice, now at 20.43. Plan to do a flat 5k eventually to see how I get on as it would be interesting to see if I can go quicker on a flat course or whether I’m just suited to a hilly course.
10k (PB 46 mins)

Gold - Sub 43
Silver - Sub 44
Bronze - Sub 45

Probably one of my best performances of the year. 1st 10k since April 2009 (only 3rd 10k ever) and a PB by 3 mins. Still can’t believe I dipped below 43 at the time and having not done a 10k since May, I think I might be closer to 42 now.

Clyde Stride

Gold - Sub 8 hours
Silver - Sub 9 hours
Bronze - Sub 11 hours

I never thought I’d suss ultras before marathons. But so far (touch wood!), that seems to be the way it’s going. I know I am going to have a bad experience in an ultra eventually but that is where the real lessons are learned. Overall my first ultra was such a memorable day where I had a plan and executed it to perfection. Even more happy to complete my first ultra and run some fantastic trails.

So 3 Gold, 1 Silver and 1 Bronze! If you look down the right (if I have not deleted it), every race this year that I have actually raced, I have had a Personal Best or Course Best. Some might call it a freak year, some might call it hard work paying off, others something else. For me the difference has been running with a club and running more than I ever have. If I am healthy I will be running at least 5 times a week. I still can’t believe how this year has gone and how much I have enjoyed it. It is going to be challenging to top it in 2011, but I am trying to create a race schedule which excites me and at the moment it is certainly doing that. Race Schedule to come and also a summary of my running year outwith the targets above.

No comments: