Sunday 3 July 2011

02/07/11 Dollar Hill Race

So much has happened since my last post. But my 2 main focuses since were the Kilpatrick hill race in early June and Dollar hill race just yesterday.

In the Kilpatrick hill race I was 5 minutes down on last year, but I enjoyed it a lot more and it was really muddy more importantly. In between the 2 races I have been back at the gym and just been doing general fitness stuff.

Yesterday I thought I'd give Dollar hill race a go and cut it a bit fine getting to the start. There were 100 runners and I arrived 20 minutes before the race start to pick up number 99.  We were off before I knew it and after a short run out of Dollar Academy, we were funneled through a gate. The route then goes down the road for a bit before turning left up through a forest path. My legs were still feeling it a bit from Thursday's club session so I ensured I didn't go out too fast.

After we got out the forest the climb up to . It was just relentless. At times it was a case of crawling up on all fours it was that steep. I altered my strategy between going straight up and zig zagging. I was overtaking well on the way up which was nice. A few false summits later I reached the top of the Whitewisp hill. After that the course was rolling hills on grassy paths - great stuff! I really enjoyed going up and down. I found myself in a group of 4-5 runners who I would play yo-yo with. With me overtaking on the ascents and them overtaking me on the descents. There was a small stretch of technical stuff but nothing to write home about.

Overall a great race and one I'll be back at for sure.  Thanks to the Westies and Ochil runners who helped out at the respective races.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi Stuart

cant believe i missed you. i was the marshal on whitewisp.

Glad you enjoyed the course maybe catch you at another hill race soon.

Norry

Stuart said...

I thought that was you. Tempted by the Ochils 2000s now.

Yeah hopefully catch you soon, probably not during the hill race judging by your times, haha.