Sunday 4 September 2016

Day 99........Day 100!!! MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Day 99: Working from home today so went for a run after work. I started off running easy but the more I got into the run the better I felt and in the end I'm even calling it a tempo run as my average page for the 4 1/2 mile loop was 8:50 minute miles.  Some runs everything just clicks and today was one of those runs. 10,487 steps.

Day 100!!  Didn't do anything special today as had to cram the steps in, in the morning because I was heading south with the family for a family wedding.  So just made the steps up by walking to my parents and then hitting the road from there. 11,921 steps.

Final stats

My average: 13,137 steps
My total steps: 1,313,675 steps
My total miles covered: 522 miles

Team average: 13,520 steps
Leaderboard for teams: 9,269 out of 48,000
Leaderboard for mini league - 4th out of 8 teams

Summary

Overall I think I have well and truely surpassed my expectations on how much my fitness has improved and how I have managed to keep this going for the last 100 days.  To give you an idea, here are some before and after park run times:

21/05/16 Tollcross parkrun: 29.01
27/08/16 Tollcross parkrun: 27.08

28/05/16: Pollok parkrun: 28.29
20/08/16: Pollok parkrun: 26.38

So it  shows I have improved my 5k times by 2 minutes!  I know at the start of this I said I didn't want to turn this into a walking blog and I think it has to an extent. But at the same time I think the walking has played a big part in my improvement.

Going forward

I am going to have to try and find a balance between walking and running. When I was working in the office all the time I was pretty much running once a week as I was more concerned about getting the steps in.  So I think now that steps are irrelevant I can change my routine so I'm getting up later and I don't have to walk from the station to the office and back. I should be fresher to run at nights.  When I was working from home this wasn't a problem as I was getting out for 3 sometimes 4 runs a week.  I think the biggest thing I have learned though is that it is important to do something each day in terms of exercise and that you will improve you just have to be patient and keep plugging away.

For this blog going forward I won't be posting any more about walking unless its hillwalking. I think I'll go back to the monthly blog summarising parkruns and other races.

In terms of where my running is going and my goals. To be honest I wish I could go in quite a lot of directions.  Stick with parkruns and 10ks, go for half marathons, marathons - ultras again?! I even have a hankering to try out uphill races. I'm not sure which one to take right now. So for now I have decided to try and extend my long runs and hopefully be in a position by new year where I think I am fit enough to attack some different races. Then I'll decide what races to apply for based on my fitness then.

No comments: