Friday 12 May 2017

Flashback - Great Scottish Run 2003

Just for a laugh and to get something written down to complete my blog, I am going to do a series of training build up/race reports from the pre blog era of my running.  I think its a maximum of 6 races but may combine a few depending on my memory!  Starting with my first ever race; the Great Scottish Run which took place in Glasgow in August 2003.

Firstly a bit of an introduction of how this came about.  I was in my first year at uni in 2002 and my mate Alan and I were cutting it fine to get our bus home for the day. So we had to dash across Glasgow.  I was absolutely exhausted by the time we got to the bus stop and Alan took the rip out of me (in a funny way) all the way home. Now I must add here that Alan was one of the best 400 meter runners in the country at this point so I probably should have put things into perspective. But it did make me think that I need to do more about my fitness. Then I started to go on runs quite regularly and mixed it in with gym sessions and five a side once a week.  Flash forward to April 2003 I watched the London marathon on TV. I said to myself then that I couldn't watch it next year. I had to be there. That will come in the next post though.

My immediate aim was the Great Scottish Run that year. People might think its a bit of a jump to go from having done no races to doing a half marathon. And yeah you are probably right!  But in those days the only person who I knew that ran was Alan and he did 400 metre races.  So in short I didn't really have a clue what I was doing and just learning as I went along. There wasn't really a plan at all with training apart from making sure I did 1 long run a week.  During the summer I worked in Greaves sports in the stock room.  This was a job I loved doing as it was very active especially on a Saturday when it was mega busy.  But one thing I noticed was the amount of running shoes I was sending down. I cottoned on to this and bought my first pair of running shoes which made a huge difference.

Anyway onto the race. I didn't really know how to approach the race, I had no plan, no time in mind, apart from take it easy as it is your first one!  Unlike nowadays the race started and finished in Glasgow green back then and didn't go over the Kingston bridge.  I was really excited by it and the first 6 miles I set out at an easy pace.  Then as I approached Pollok Park I realised that I was feeling really good. I had done the first half in 1 hour and 2 minutes.  Then I just upped the pace and it felt totally fine. I was overtaking like mad and loving it.  I finished in 1 hour 54 minutes so a massive negative split.  In those days as well as a medal and t-shirt, you also got a certificate too which I still have.

So that is how it all began, little did I know then, how much time I would spend in Pollok park years later.

No comments: