Saturday 24 February 2018

The February crack

February wasn't as good a month as January as outside of parkruns I only managed 4 other runs. This is mainly down to not being able to work from home the whole month. May seem like a piddly excuse but when I commute to the office its 4 hours travelling a day so it takes it out of you. When I am able to work from home I find it easy to get out as litrally I get changed and out as soon as I clock off. It really does make a massive difference to my running. In saying that the times I did get out during the week were during lunchtimes which I really need to do more.

But anyway in terms of parkruns it's all good as I managed 4/4 parkruns this month which means in the first 2 months I have only missed one which is positive.

3rd February - The month started off really good down at Pollok parkrun.  I pushed the pace for starter and I did pay for it in the 2nd and 3rd miles. But I kept going all the way round and even got chatting to a guy from down south explaining the route to him. This one I finished in 30.41 which is my fastest parkrun since October I think.

10th February - After volunteering at junior parkrun the previous week, one of the guys Jack who runs a jog Scotland group called the Runbetweeners said I should come along to Ruchill parkrun the following week as they were taking their group there. I didn't need any persuading and I rocked up to join them.  I knew quite a few people since a lot of them volunteer down at Roukenglen too.  I had an ok run but still found it tough. Especially on the 2nd and 3rd laps where I took more walk breaks up the hill. But it was good having encouragement on the out and back section from other runners and also the volunteers.  33.07

17th February - Back at Pollok again as I continue to do my "Home" parkrun every second week. This one was a bit weird as the first mile I was really struggling and had to walk just after the first kilometre. But picked up a bit in the second mile. Then I saw Claire, again one of my volunteer buddies from Roukenglen and all of sudden I had a second, or should that be a first wind. We ran and chatted all the way to the finish and even managed a sprint at the end! It was great. 32.44

24th February - Today I went to Drumchapel. A course I do really like as its all trails (gravelly trails) and it is a small, friendly event. I knew how tough the course was and as always I set off easy. On the hills today though I realised I just had nothing in my legs and pretty much walked all of them. I don't know if its my weight or something but I do really need to work on this as it was slightly worrying. I was absolutley fine on the downs and flats and I wasn't out of breath or anything. Its just as if the muscles in my legs were just asleep for the hill sections. I know the only way to improve this is maybe losing some weight and keep doing hills though so will try and make some changes.   34.52.

The thing I have enjoyed most about parkruns this year though is that I seem to be talking to more and more folk before and after, even during the parkruns.  Before this year I would speak to people every now and then but this year I have been doing this more and more. Which is a major positive to finish this post on.

No comments: