Saturday 25 August 2018

August update - things are looking slightly up

Well the good news is that my achilies issues are pretty much gone now. Still feel them every now and then but a good stretching session seems to sort them out. Which has meant this month I have gone 4 for 4 from the parkruns available!

4/8  It was only right that I returned to Pollok for my first run back. This was a surprisingly good run as I had paced myself well and for a change I actually ran the whole way at Pollok. Which is something I haven't done for quite a bit. Time: 32.10

11/8 Next up was Ruchill as I try and complete my challenge of running at least 5 runs at all the parkruns in the Glasgow area. This was my fifth at Ruchill and to be honest it is a course I have always struggled with.  But today was a different ball game.  The first lap was more of a social lap as I got chatting to someone. Then in the second lap we parted and I managed to up the pace and for the 3rd lap I upped the pace even more. Again I managed to run the whole way which is something I have never managed to do at Ruchill.  Also I managed to smash my course best for the course with a time of 30.22.

18/8  Plean was next on the agenda. A course I have never done before. I wasn't really sure about how to get there as the buses from larbert and Stirling didn't seem to fit in with the trains to Plean. Not that I expect them too. But when I mentioned it to Campbell at work who lives in Larbert. He was up for coming along too to walk his dog. So Campbell gave me a lift from Larbert station. What a guy!  The run itself was enjoyable but tough. It's one of the few courses I have done that is not laps or an out and back. Its basically 3 loops which slightly overlap each other. It has a lot of fun trails. The first part of the course it felt was mostly downhill which meant, you guessed it, there was a lot of up in the second half. I had to walk quite a bit but still enjoyed it. Time: 35.10

25/8  Today it was back to Pollok to do their new alternative course which I have pretty much done before I think last year but it looks like this is going to be the course for quite a while now. Mentally I was going into this run in a bad way as my 2 runs during the week were 1 and 1 1/2 miles and I struggled with both. So I knew this was going to be a struggle as this was now an even harder course. So I ended up walking at least bits of most of the inclines. Half way round the second lap a guy passed me while I was walking and offered encouragment. It gave me such a boost!  I still had to walk bits of the remaining hills. But on the downs and flats, in my mind, I was flying. Time 34.10

So really just glad to be back parkrunning this month. Slightly mythed about my fitness as I should really be fitter. Especially as I have been running more since Ruchill and now getting slower. As ususal I need to work on hills so I will try and find some in September. 

No comments: