Sunday 28 July 2019

July parkruns

06/07 - First parkrun of the month was back at my home parkrun Pollok for my 200th run.  I had told a few people beforehand but I didnt really see this one as a big one with 250 being potentially 1 year to a year and a half away. I got to the start and to my surprise my parents were there to support today.  I didn't tell the run director it was my 200th but I had told someone who I thought was going to tell him but forgot so didn't get a shout out. No big deal.  The run itself was the best run I have had at Pollok since they changed the course dipping in, in just under 29 minutes. Another person I told it was my 200th was my mate Alan who I didn't realise was there until 200 metres before the end when he sprinted past me.  Afterwards I made the stupid move of going to the run director who was doing barcode scanning and telling him it was my 200th run. I said it wasnt his fault as he didnt know but I still should have probably kept quiet. But a good day nevertheless, I got a good time and glad the parents and my mate came down to support. I'll be sure to email in myself for my 250!

13/07 - I was off on my travels again and it felt like this one wasn't really about the parkrun itself but the journey to get there. I headed up to Aberdeen after work on the Friday and stayed in the city centre.  In the morning I got the bus out to Crathes castle which should have got me there for 9.05 to the entrance of the grounds then a 15 minute stroll to the start.  But about half way there the bus pulled over and the driver got out and it looked like the bus may have had a flat tyre.  It wasnt a flat tyre but a small pane of glass at the bottom of the door, had not shattered but it was cracked.  So he took a photo of it and sent it to the engineer who said to him the bus couldn't continue the journey and said to everyone to get off the bus.  At this point I was wondering what to do - should I just head back to Aberdeen as how long would it take to get another bus? It was every half an hour the bus so waiting for the next one would mean missing the parkrun.  I asked the driver how long it would be and he said he should be able to get to Crathes castle by 9.30.  I was still thinking I would miss the start and dont know the route. But I thought if I turn up late I could always volunteer at the finish and scope the place out.   The bus came and I arrived at the castle entrance at 9.26.  At this point I knew there was a chance of making it. I had scoped it out on google maps beforehand so knew the way to the start.  I ran pretty hard and reached the large grass section where the castle is to see the field assembled at the start with a car going right through the centre of them.  This bought me some time as I ran across the grass and it was litrally 3, 2, 1 Go. 

The run itself felt like an afterthought as I was already knackered.  Thankfully the first k was downhill. I had a chance to catch my breath a bit. Then after a k you turn around and go back up the path.  Then you hit the trails and go on quite a big loop. This bit was a wee bit lumpy but generally flat.  I quite enjoyed this bit.  Once you do the loop its all uphill to the finish. I have heard from people saying that its the toughest finish to a parkrun in Scotland whereby it is definitley up there but I think Camperdown is up there with it out of the parkruns in Scotland I have done.  I finished in just over 32 minutes which I was pretty pleased with considering it was a hilly course and the journey to get to the start!  A very nice parkrun though and well worth the trip.

20/07 - I wasn't quite sure where I was going to end up this morning but I eventually opted for Linwood because it is a nice and flat course.  I wasn't really feeling that up for it so decided not to go for it today and just take it easy. Well after the first mile I was walking and I just got slower and slower. I just wasnt feeling good at all. I made it eventually in 40 minutes which is easily my slowest time of the year.  The thing is it never really clicked I was ill at this point, I wasnt sure what was wrong.  I also have the challenge going of trying to average under 30 minutes for parkruns across the year and this has put a bit of a dent in that!

27/07 - On the Monday I went into work and had to go home at 10am as I was feeling unwell. I was off work for Tuesday, Wednesday tooo. I was back to working from home on the Thursday and then went into work on the Friday. I was meant to go up to Aberdeen to run Ellon parkrun but I was still in that zone on Friday where I wasnt sure if I was fit enough to go.  The only time I would find out was when I was actually doing it and for me I didn't feel like it was worth the trip to find out during the run that I wasnt 100%. So I opted for Pollok instead.  It was nice light showers and to be honest I was just pleased that I ran all the way round considering how was during the week and that Pollok is a tough course.  I ended up finishing in just over 30 minutes.

So an up and down month. In terms of the challenge to average under 30 minutes. I was doing pretty well and was under 30 minutes but this month my average has been pushed up to 30.06! So I have work to do to try and get it back down again. I am also doing the 11 for 11 challenge which is 11 different parkruns running then 11 volunteering stints. Thats what is required to get silver so I have done the volunteering now and just got a few more runs to do.

No comments: