Sunday 1 December 2019

November parkruns

2/11 - The month started off with my first visit to Queen's parkrun.  It only started up in October but I didnt want to go to the initial events to stop overcrowding them and also I had already planned tourism elsewhere.  The park is just over a mile away from me, making it my nearest parkrun now.  Its so close I can't really drive there as walking/running there takes about the same amount of time.  Anyway I got there in plenty of time and that waas with leaving the flat at 8.55.  I got to the muster area and had a good chat with Ann before the start. I then met Kirsty and Pauline just before the briefing.  When it started they went off ahead but during the 3 laps we would be overtaking each other quite a lot and sometimes we would just run together and chat. Also spoke to June on the way round too.  I have never really run in Queens park before this and the course is very hilly. But most of the climbs are gradual.  And the main descent is all in the one go so it does feel like you are ascending more than you are descending but it is a nice course and you get great views from the top.  I came in about 31.30.  I then went into the church after for juice and biscuits. Had a good chat with folk and also got to sort the tokens.

9/11 - This week I did exactly what I did 10 years ago when I started doing Pollok parkrun. Where I ran the first week then volunteered the next.  Today I was marshalling and again there was an abundance of people I knew there today, including Rodger who was running his 250th.  It was another great morning followed by church afterwards to sort the tokens again.

16/11 - Today my brother joined me for parkrun. He wanted a trail course and I wanted to do one I hadnt done before so we settled on Drumpellier.  It was a very cold morning but I had a good run and enjoyed the course. It goes a bit round the loch then 2 loops of the woods and back to the start.  I felt I was running pretty well today. I ran with Ken on the first lap then gradually pulled away on the second lap. I think it helped that it was flat and I felt good when I finished. My time today was just over 29 minutes.

23/11 - No parkrun today as I had been off sick work on Thursday. I was back working from home on Friday but still hadnt quite shaken it off enough by the Saturday to even justify volunteering never mind running.

30/11 - Today was -6 degrees so it was a case of getting to the car at 815. De-icing. Then checking the phone to see what parkruns were on.  I was planning on doing Pollok but it got to 8.40 and they still hadnt declared.  But I thought the fact they hadnt probably meant it was on and even if it wasnt I could nip to Queens as that was on.  I turned up at Pollok and the set up team werent to return to where the volunteers meet till well after 9. Turns out they were doing an epic job since 745 getting the course into a fit state to run - with some extreme gritting.  Hats off to them. The reason I was doing Pollok today was it was one of my Rouken glen buddies Finola's 100th run AND 100th volunteer. Which is amazing to do both on the same day. I imagine not many people will have done that.

In terms of the run I took it easy today. I hadnt run in 2 weeks so it was just a case of getting back in to it again. I did have to walk for a bit of the second lap but generally felt quite comfertable.  I came in just over 34 minutes.

Overall I have let go of my running a bit this month. The weather has turned and motivation has decreased along with getting ill.  As long as I keep the parkruns going I'll be happy for this winter I think.

No comments: