Saturday 2 April 2022

March parkrun update

 March was my worst running month in a while.  Mainly due to a lack of midweek runs and my health not being 100% especially toward the tail end of the month. But on the positive side thing I did make my presence felt at all parkrun opportunities available.

5/3 - On the first Saturday I volunteered as a marshal at Queen's.  This was actually my first 5k volunteering since December last year. Due to Queen's being cancelled for the one I had my name for in Jaunary. Then in February I wanted to get my 250th out the way and then had plans to go further a field.

12/3 - After talking to one of the run directors at Queen's the previous week, Richie.  He was keen to do some touristing this week and fancied some company so I happily obliged.  We decided on Kirkcaldy as we both hadn't done that before. Catelyn who was also volunteering the previous week at Queen's came along too so it was like a proper road trip.  To be honest I was delighted by the whole arrangement.  As I don't drive long distances, particuarly motorways, I would have to do overnights even to go to parkruns in Edinburgh. So having company and getting my own bed to sleep in really was a win win.

So we drove through to Kirkcaldy and arrived in plenty of time for Richie to do a good warm up. While Catelyn and myself met up with Rob and Anne who conincidently chose today to get their K for the alphabet challenge.  I enjoyed the run and it was the first time this year I had managed to run a parkrun without stopping.  It's a nice two loop course with a fair bit of a hill to run up each lap, then you have a nice diversion round the pond on the second lap to make up the distance.  Finished in 30.32 which is my fastest time this year.

19/3 - Today I was back at Queen's and this time running.  Not a great run as had to walk the hills from the 2nd lap.  But at Queen's now I kind of go in expecting that I'm going to have to walk bits so no big deal.  Didn't feel that fit today and finished in 34 minutes, which is only 3 and half minutes off my PB for the course so still doing not too bad.

26/3 - Unexpected visit to Springburn today as Richie texted me the day before saying Stuart who is another Run Director at Queen's and who I know well and him were heading to Springburn. I was happy to tag along having not been there in years.  It was very busy, well compared to how I remembered Springburn.  It's a nice rolling course and can be fast.  But due to my lack of running in the previous weeks it showed and I came in just under 32 minutes. 2 minutes faster than Queen's the previous week mind.  Stuart and Richie had great runs and all in all another great wee road trip.

No comments: