Sunday 26 June 2022

June parkrun update

 4/6 - Today I was planning on going to Drumchapel with some buddies from Rouken Glen but I did not get a good night sleep the night before due to worrying about something not parkrun related.  So, I didn't fancy the drive over to Drumchapel and opted for Queen's instead.  When I got to the start, I recognised more volunteers than runners.  Turns out there were 100 runners and 49 were first timers.  Seems everyone has gone away for the weekend with lots getting their Q for the alphabet challenge.  I was not expecting a good run today due to my tiredness and I was going very slow pace.  But surprisingly I didn't have to walk till the 3rd lap and that was only on the 1st and 2nd hill, the third one I was ok on.  So, I finished in just over 34 minutes but really the achievement was just turning up today.

11/6 - My parents were up for a trip today and offered to take me down to Stranraer to do Agnew parkrun after the fun I had last month trying to get there.  But as it should be doable by train when the trains do sort themselves out, I thought it would be a good opportunity to do a parkrun that is a bit harder to get to.  And that parkrun believe it or not is Loch Leven parkrun.  It feels like it should be easy, but you can't get public transport to it from my flat in the morning and it's even a bit complex getting somewhere to stay overnight and get there in the morning despite their being a bus stop next to Loch Leven Larder where the parkrun is.  So, my parents made it easy for me and gave me a lift in the morning.  Which I am very much grateful for.

We arrived in plenty of time and made our way to the start.  I started quite near the back and went off on the small loop.  It goes up a hill and when it comes back down the hill you can see the people behind you. This is when I realised there was only the tail walker behind me to my surprise.  Usually there at least some walkers but not today.  Once you do the small loop you do two big laps.  The first big lap I ran it all and managed to pick a few people off.  The second lap I had to walk jog as was feeling it a bit. It was very tough conditions today as it was very windy and the course is very exposed.  But I did enjoy it all the same and got round in just under 34 minutes.

18/06 - Today I was meant to be number checker at Queen's but due to a few dropouts in the morning I was moved to marshal point 2.  A fun morning all the same.

25/06 - Today was my parkrun buddy Stuart's last RD stint at Queen's park so a couple of my Rouken Glen buddies and I decided to go down for it.  It was nice because after Stuart had done the pre-run briefing, he said if the timekeepers were ready.  Craig one of the timers and another run director at Queen's said no and continued to thank Stuart for all he has done for Queen's and at parkrun. I think he and we all know Stuart will continue volunteering in some capacity, but this was his last RD stint.  And he deserves all the plaudits for all he has done for parkrun over the years.

In terms of the run itself I started walking in the second hill of the first lap and I was lapped earlier than ever before just coming round the last bend of the first lap.  So, I didn't think I was doing too well. But turned out the guy only went and smashed the course record. I continued running the flats and downs and walking the ups round the last 2 laps.  On the last lap the new course record holder was now doing some hill reps to warm down while supporting folk like me who were still busting a gut to get round.  I was going faster down the hills so came in just under 34 minutes again.

I look back at my average time for the last few months and it's been pretty consistent at around the 34-minute mark.  This is a lot higher than I usually am for this time of year.  And in the first 6 months of this year, I've only managed one sub 30-minute 5k which is unusual for me too. I have been doing Queen's a lot though.  I think that is what I am going to change going into July as Queen's is one of the toughest parkruns in Scotland.  With Largs Prom and Elder park started up which are both flat I think I'll try and get them done in July and take things from there.

No comments: