Saturday 4 June 2022

May update

 Bit of a different update this month.  It started off ok then fell off the rails.

7th May - For the first parkrun of the month I was volunteering at Queen's as number checker.  Really enjoyed it.  Mainly hanging out with the timekeepers for the day Tim and Derek and it was great.

14th May -  My sole parkrun actually running of the month was back at Queen's.  Had my usual walking breaks and plodded round in 33.41.  Quite a few people I knew were there so got chatting to them before and after.  Craig, Jo, Lisa and Kirstin.  They were all way ahead of me for most of the run but I did catch Lisa just before the last hill.  But on the final downhill she went for it and I couldn't actually go any faster (or I can say I let her win lol.)

21st May - I had the day off on the Friday to head down to Stranraer by train and had a hotel booked not too far from the start.  I left at 1pm got the train in to towm.  Then I headed for Ayr where I had to change.  But that was to be the turning point, literally.  I got to Ayr at 3pm and saw my connection was cancelled and the next one wasn't till 5.30.  I was considering turning round then and heading back. But I thought if I turned back I would end up getting in at 6 and I would still get to Stranraer at 7 so not that much difference.  So I found a Costa, told the hotel to put my dinner reservation back to 7.30.  Then at 5pm I headed for the station.  Only to find that the 5.30 Stranraer train had disappeared from the board.  And it was only going to Girvan.  Then the final train of the day was also cancelled.  So I had no choice but to cancel the hotel, turn round and go home.  I couldn't really believe it.  I have nearly missed parkrun starts by a fraction before but have always completed them.  It took me off guard and the next day I ended up not going to parkrun.  I had already decided not to do juniors that week either just to give myself a day off.

With the problems with the trains looking set to continue it has put me in two minds whether to continue the challenge of trying to tick off all the parkruns in Scotland.  Half of me thinks this may just be bad luck.  The other half thinks maybe I need a new challenge that doesn't rely on public transport.  Even trying to go sub 30 at Queen's.

28th May - This one I was thinking of running somewhere but Richie, one of the run directors at Queen's, said he was going travelling and this would be his last RD stint at Queen's for quite a while.  So I stepped up to volunteer.  Then Thursday came and about half way through the morning I had to log off as I was feeling unwell and unforetuaneltey had to miss all parkrun activity that weekend.

So, not the best of months but still need to document to see where I can learn and improve. I'll get to Stranraer one day lol.

No comments: