Sunday 12 September 2010

Recovery complete so went on a wee cycle to Edinburgh

Not surprisingly Monday I had that happy sore pain in my legs from GSR, so a well deserved day off. Tuesday was the same, but not as sore as Monday but still felt rusty so another day off.

Wednesday was a nice easy 10k loop which felt great and I knew I was ready for the club session on Thursday.  This time it was hill reps which I hadn't done in ages. But I decided to try and stick with the B group tonight and see how I got on. I made the rookie mistake of going out too fast on the first few reps and found myself ahead of quite a few of the B's and really paying for as the session went on. I think I kept up with the B's for 3 reps, problem is there was still another 4 to go.... of the first set! I still managed a reasonable pace.  The second set was slightly shorted reps.  So this time I started off with the Cs and found by the 3rd rep I was overtaking the Bs, I felt good on the 4th and 5th rep. But then I really had nothing left for the 6th and 7th. I am still pleased with this session as the way I see it is that if I want to get to B group standard I need to run with them and push myself. The one thing I would do differently is to sit at the back of the group and try to hang on.

Friday I did a 2 mile loop round Gogarburn with Alex. It was raining a lot in the morning which meant the grass was even softer which was nice.

Saturday a day off. Then today I did Pedal for Scotland which is a 50 mile cycle from Glasgow to Edinburgh with Adrian from work. It may seem a bit random doing this but I have my own reasons for doing it. Another question would be what training have I done for it? Well I did a 20 mile cycle about 2 weeks ago and that was comfortable so I was sure I could cover the distance.

So I met up with Adrian in Glasgow Green. His bus was late and took ages to get his bike of the truck so by the time we got to the start it was 10.30. Meaning most of the 10,000 people doing this were off already. We spent the whole cycle overtaking people. The first section to Drumpellier Park was a bit stop start as we kept getting stopped at lights. When we got there we had about a five minute stop to refuel our water bottles then it was off to Avonbridge. This is where the route goes through Airdrie and then out on to the country roads. It was a beautiful day so we got some great views and also we were getting into a really good rhythm. We got to Avonbridge which is the half way mark. Last time I did this there was homebaking and loads of chocolate but this time it was so busy there were massive queues for it. So I asked one of the officals if there was a shop near by and there was so we just got lunch there, so that was about a half an hour stop.

Leaving Avonbridge is easily the toughest part of the route as it is a steep, windy and long uphill but once up it feels like you go downhill all the way to Linlithgow.  We took a five minute break at Linlithgow but we were fine for food and water so it was onwards to Kirkleston.  I was really familiar with this stretch as I have used it when I cycled to work before. Its a long gradual ascents and descents and we were flying. We got to Kirkleston and had a 15 minute break as there was home baking and chocolate! That is what I'm talking about!! So fully loaded up and ready for the last stretch. It worked out well cycling with Adrian as he was on a road bike and I was on a mountain bike. So he would really bomb the downhills and flats and I would catch him on the ups. Before we knew it we were on the cycle path and in Victoria Park. The finish! Thanks to Adrian for being great company and also well done to him as its the furthest he has ever cycled.

So will be interesting to see how long it takes to recover from this!

No comments: