Sunday 3 October 2010

McAndrews Road Relay plus a few hills

Well Last week I said I wanted to get some more hills in with the road routes I do.

This week I can safely say I delivered on all counts!

Monday I took my usual 4.5 mile loop and turned it in to the equivlent of a Running half pipe. If you've seen snowboarding half pipe on TV they go down this half pipe going up on either side doing tricks. I wasn't doing tricks but basically turning up every hill either side of my 4.5 mile loop, turning it into a fun 7 mile loop with 10 nice hills.

Tuesday I went back to the Merries to dwarf the memories of the previous Thursdays session. I took it easier at about 8.10 pace and really enjoyed it. It is slightly different to the session last week as I include more hills near by so its got more flat bits in between but still covers 13 hills.

Wednesday I had a night off, then Thursday I was up at the club which seemed pretty busy. But when we got going I realised there was only 4 people in the B group tonight. We were doing the Asda loop which is a 6.5 mile tempo run. I stayed with the group for the first mile then Jim bombed off as he is a natural up the hills. The first 2 miles is a gradual hill and I managed to keep Billy, Gerry and David close but on the down hills they would pull away. I still managed to keep them in view though for the whole session which was pleasing.

On Friday another day off as Saturday it was the McAndrew Road Relay in Jordanhill which is West of Glasgow city center. We had 3 male teams in from Giffnock and I was in the C team which I was not surprised about at all given the amount of talent at the club. I took over from David running the second leg. I got into a good stride for the first mile as it was really flat. The second mile from what I can remember was ok beginning to get more undulating. When I looked at my watch expecting to see not long to go, it said 1 mile 1/4 and I didn't have much left. But I gutted it out and found I was overtaking pretty much the whole way round with only one overtaking me. I passed over to Gerry who finished for us. We were meant to have 4 people but the guy we had stepping in from Inverclyde managed to get a run with another team so we were stuck in a three. No big deal. Funny thing is though looking at my pace per mile it was 6.35 over a 3.3 mile course. My 5k PB is 6.42 per mile over 3.1 mile! So if it was a 5 k I would have got a PB. Also the hills in the last mile were tougher than park run as they actually slowed you down a lot where as the park run hills bar 1 are more gradual.

Today I went back to the Windfarm up in Eaglesham and did the same loop as last week. I was expecting it to rain and be windy, but it was just cloudy. But they were high so I could see quite a lot. I took the garmin this time and turns out the loop is 8 miles and I know last week I said it was undulating, I ve changed my mind to it is hilly!

So a really enjoyable week and looking forward to the Mudfest that is is Mugdock Turbo X trail race next weekend!

No comments: