Monday 6 July 2009

Balfron 10k 2009



So I headed over early to get my race number and chip. The organisation was second to none as there was not even a queue even though there were over 600 runners plus a junior race. Then I headed back to the car to chill out with some tunes until 10.30 where I did a light jog back to Balfron high school to warm up. As I was entering Balfron High school there was a guy telling me ‘Go in that lane’, thinking that I was in the 4k junior race and I was last! So we had a good laugh about it when he realised I was just warming up.

The race itself was really enjoyable. The start went really smoothly as everyone seemed to be at the right point in the pack so I got up to my pace straight away. The course is an out and back course which is pretty much continuously undulating. It is one of those races where it was really a necessity to train on hills as you could tell in the second half of the race many were caught out by going off too quickly.

There were small pockets of support throughout the race that were extremely encouraging. On top of that the marshalling was second to none and the finish had a good crowd. The free orange and grapes stall was a nice touch at the finish. The goody bag included a bar of chocolate, a bottle of water and a very nice medal.

Although not a PB course, this is an incredibly scenic and well organised race now in its 3rd year. Being only half an hour out of Glasgow it is handy too.

No comments: