Monday 6 July 2009

East Kilbride Half Marathon 2009


Having run this race twice before in 2004 (1.42) and 2005 (1.58), I was looking forward to getting back to running it after 4 years off. The good news was that the organisation was as good as ever and the only blip was the false start in which the councillor couldn’t get the gun to work and just told everyone to go! Before marshals had to stop runners as the gun sets off the timing mat (or something like that!). So once the councillor got a cap in the gun we were underway...

As well as having the half marathon; a 10k is on at the same time and all the runners are mixed together distinguished by red race numbers for 10K runners and black race numbers for half marathon runners. Also a nice touch to the race numbers this year was that your name and where you’re from are under the number! So I was Stuart from Glasgow for the day.

The half marathon is a two lap course with the second lap having a two mile out and back section to make up the miles, as the 10k goes off into the track after the first lap. For the first lap I just had the intention of taking it easy and see how I felt on the second lap. I went through 7 miles about 1.03 and felt really good so decided to up it a bit for the second lap. The second lap I really enjoyed as it was a lot quieter as all the 10k runners which took up well over half the field were gone and a was regularly overtaking people. The course has what I would call long inclines and declines. I wouldn’t say they were enough to call hills or affect pace really. So PB potential is quite high here.

I ended up finishing in a time of 1.51.57 which I was really pleased with as I have not done as many long runs in the last month. The last 6 miles felt really comfortable at the faster pace and I reckon I could have sustained it for many more miles.

Overall this is a great race – excellent marshalling, 2 laps meant the water stations every 2 miles and it’s always good finishing on a track for that sprint finish! (ok so maybe not a sprint ;-), slightly faster than before!)

No comments: