Saturday 8 August 2009

Loch Ness Marathon Training week 8

Need to read the blog title...week 8 and repeat...week 8. I have just realised for this weeks Tuesday session I did week 9 instead! D'oh, So instead of doing 3 x 1 mile at 7 min/per mile pace I did 16 x 200m. But to make it a bit more challenging i did the 200m over one of the steepest hills in the area known as Langside hill. On the schedule I was to do this in a minute per rep so considering the uphilll I was pleased to average 1.04 in the first 8 reps and then the second 8 I just got quicker and quicker. 1.03, 1.02, 1.01. You can see I really wanted to go under a minute and then I got a 59! For the last 2 reps I really pushed it and got 57 in rep 15 and then 56 in rep 16!

Needless to say the next day I was stiff and the first couple of miles of Wednesday nights easy run were tough but eventually found my stride and for the last 2 downhill miles I blitzed it! Which I really shouldn't have done but I really couldn't help myself. So Thursday nights tempo run again started and I was stiff but still managed 8.10 minute miles on a fairly hilly circuit.

and then today probably the worst run of the week even though it was just an 'easy' three miles. It is almost as if my legs shutdown after a day off and take a while to get going again. It was horrible, I have no idea if I was dehydrated or what but I have not changed my routine. So for tomorrows half marathon at Helensburgh will be interesting, I was originally going to go for 1.40 - 1.45. But really will need to see now. will be pleased to get under 2 hours and delighted if I got under 1.50 for the first time in 5 years. The game plan is to go out 8 - 8.30 pace and see how long I can go for. This is the most work I have done before going into a half marathon so fingers crossed!

No comments: