Sunday 16 August 2009

Loch Ness Marathon Training week 9

Another good week and recovered from last weeks Helensburgh half marathon just in time for Tuesday's speedword session of 3 times 1 mile fast on a hilly loop. Felt good and managed 7.41 and 7.42 for the first two loops then 7.24 for the last one.

Wednesday was a success for a completley different reason as I actually managed to do 8 miles at an easy pace without speeding up and maintaining an easy pace which is important when you have two hard days either side of this session. Although I did get lost at one point meaning it was more like 8.5 miles.

Then Thursday, a few weeks back I did a 7 mile tempo run which was my longest tempo run ever. Today I did a 9 mile tempo run and it actually felt better than my 7 mile tempo run as I didn't get a stitch this time! When I got back I realised it was 8.7 miles but I'm not going to lose sleep over it! Still I did it in just over 1.08 meaning it was faster than I went in the first 9 miles of the Helensburgh half as I did that in 1.13 something. So I reckon I would have been between 1.10 and 1.11 if I did bang on 9 mile.

Saturday was an easy 4.5 miler, then Sunday was the biggie. My first 20 miler since training for London in 2004. For the first 4 miles it was raining a lot and I was absolutley drenched, but it cleared up after that meaning it was just really windy the whole way instead. It was easily the toughest run I have done this year. I started it at my parents so I could finish at the top of a hill. So the route replicated what Loch ness will be like. The first 4 miles were up and down hills. Then the majority was downhill from the top of Barrhead Road going down through Thornlibank and round Pollock Park which took it up to 10 miles with a few more hills thrown in. Then the two toughest hills between 10 and 15 miles going up the middle of Queens Park then up Old Castle road to the top of Linn Park. From there it was mainly up hill up to Mearns Castle High School which was especially tough to finish off with as my legs were hurting and I was going into a headwind! But I made it and I am pleased to get the first of many 20 milers in the bank.

It also tips of a record high milage for a week with over 48 miles! So close to 50,I'll get there!

No comments: