Sunday 31 January 2010

Lochaber Marathon Training week 5

Well this is my first week back since my week away skiing. And I've had a bad cold from Monday to Thursday. Did that stop me running? Hell no! The rule I follow which is quite common knowledge is that if the illness is below the neck don't do excercise but if its above,go go go!

Monday I did a very comfy 10k, which I did nearly tempo pace and felt really good and got round in just over 52 minutes. Tuesday I was going to do the Merries tempo run but got a text at 7pm saying they were one short for five aside footy. I use to play every week, but since I upped my running I just play when they are short and I feel like a game. So I felt like a game. It was good run around but it didn't make me want to return to playing weekly as I just get so much more of a buzz out of running.

Wednesday I did the same route as Monday but took it easier and came in just under the hour. Thursday I was looking forward to having a club session but the trains had other ideas! I didn't get home till half seven which is the same time the guys set off from the club. So I had the choice of driving about trying to find them not knowing what session they were doing or just do a session myself in the hope they might do the same one. Well I chose Alder Road hills times 12 which I love and that added up to 7 miles including warm up and warm down. Turns out the club were doing Barrhead road miles which I also love and gutted to have missed it! They do 5 times 1 mile reps and its a good long session adding up to about 10 miles.

Friday my compulsary day off. Saturday was my January race for the month - the Glasgow Park Run! I love this event and its great that I am getting to know more and more people at the event. I've started to build up a friendly rivalry with Lomond Hill runner Graeme Aitken and its also good chatting with Giffnock folk and park run volunteers. Graeme said at the start he would run with me as we were both aiming for 22 minutes something. However as the start is downhill, Graeme took off as he is a lot faster at going down hill than me. I got in to my stride and the first lap felt really comfertable. As I went into the second lap, I could see I was closing on Graeme and caught him before the top of the hill before the long down hill. I said hi and then as expected he took off! As we reached the bottom and headed up the Glade I pushed on and must have over taken about 5 people including Graeme up the gradual incline. I then hit the top of the hill and continued down to the finish. To my surprise I managed to overtake someone going down hill and noone overtook me but seeing the results finished very close behind! The next person in front of me who was a good 10 seconds ahead was Giffnocks own Martin Myant and in front of that was Scottish Running guide writer Ian Goudie. We had a good chat after as we waited in the queue to hand in our numbers with our placing on it. And the best news?! I got a PB by 34 seconds! So I came in at 22 minutes 17 seconds which I am really happy with! I don't think I'll be running this for a while unless its part of my long run but I'll help out as much as I can.

Then on to Sunday. I wanted to get a long run is but throughout Saturday I was thinking you just got a PB for 5k you might not be up to it tomorrow. So I checked my blog to see what I distance I did in week 5 for my loch ness training and it was 15 miles. I wanted to run most of it with the club but since I somehow switched my alarm off when I set it, that went out the window! So I set off about half 11, deciding to take it easy and see how it goes. I headed for Pollock Park then up through Hill Park down towards Kilmarnock road. I then went up Asda and round back down to home. So I managed it! 15.3 miles, so I am now on track and even better thing was I did just under 9.40 mins per miles. So I did it in 2 hours 26 minutes.

All in all a great week and if I could have one of these weeks even every second week that would be awesome! Roll on next week!

No comments: