Wednesday 27 January 2010

Lochaber Marathon Training week 4 + Skiing

Not updated for a couple weeks so here is a catch up.

Week beginning January 11th or Week 4 of training. Monday was an excellent circuit sessions. I only managed 2 runs this week but what lacked in quantity certainly made up for in quality! On Tuesday I did the Merries again but this time did 2 loops so basically ended up 1 mile warm up and down with a 6 mile hilly tempo run with 12 hills in between. On Wednesday I was out with family to celebrate my birthday as I was out the country for my actual birthday. Then at the club on Thursday we did 10 * Davieland hills which are about 400m up mild gradient. I really enjoyed the session and found myself ahead of my group. I really feel hills are my strength and after Lochaber marathon I am looking forward to spending more time in the hills up north.

I was still running up the roads in both these sessions as there was still a lot of ice about which is a complete contrast to now! From going from having to plan out routes with least amount ice and having to concentrate on not falling on every step; to going where ever, whenever and looking as far ahead up the road as you like without constantly looking at the ground. Its like being set free!

Friday was a birthday night out with friends at Paperinos in town which was really good! Then Saturday I jetted off to France, to Les Meniures in the 3 valleys region for a week. It was so much fun and we covered a lot of ground. I took my garmin with me just out of interest as to how much we skied each day and it generally was between 20 and 25 miles with the highest mileage being when we went to Courchavel and back which was 27 miles. This is my 3rd year going skiing and I have improved so much in that time and definitely enjoying it a lot more than the early days! I did do a circuit session early on when I was away but that was it as skiing was enough exercise. I didn't even contemplate running as like most resorts I have visited there are no pavements and very little roads and where there are roads they are not suitable for running. I did miss it but it was a nice change skiing.

I had a look at the SUMS website which is the Scottish Ultra Marathon Series that covers 7 races and one which particularly caught my eye was Clyde Stride which is a new 40 mile ultra from Partick station in Glasgow along the clyde to just beyond New Lanark. I have to say I wasn't planning on doing an ultra this year but the timing of this, length, location and terrain make it more than tempting! It’s the 18th July and looking back at my blog from last year I noticed I had ticking over months in May and June where I was just waiting for Loch ness training to start. So doing this would give me something big to aim for and still allow me to do some hill running in May/June. Then there is still plenty of time in Late July/August to recover from the ultra and set myself up for Loch Ness again.

No comments: