Sunday 21 February 2010

20/02/10 - Stewarts National Cross Country Championships - Falkirk

What a day for racing. Perfect weather, the sun was out, still a bit of mud to give it that cross country feel and no ice patches to contend with.

I arrived at Callender Park in Falkirk at half past one, giving me a full hour before the race started. I headed over to the Giffnock tent but there was just the juniors there so I headed over to the start/finish bit see if anyone was there and the senior ladies were just completing their first lap. By the time I got back the senior men were starting to arrive and we went over and cheered on the women as they finished their second and final lap. Time flew by and before I knew it I was off for my warm up with Kevin, Marc and Derren. When we got back we put on our vests and headed over to the start line with the 447 strong field. I don't use the term strong lightly, this really was the best club runners in Scotland in amongst other club runners like myself who just love cross country.

The gun went and we were off! I had positioned myself pretty much at the back with club mates Phillip and David. Immediatley we went straight up a hill which meant it took a while for the field to spread out. But as we got to the top then turned right and right again we were back down the other side. David went ahead and Phillip and I were still running together. The course then goes right round a loch then takes a sharp left up the second major hill of the day and as always a nice long down hill. Then there is quite a bit of flat running with a steep decent/ascent in and out of a ditch which really slows you down. The next major hill is a bit easier than the other ones. Then the course goes flat again in a big loop. In the last half a kilometre their is another short, sharp uphill and followed by a gradual ascent. Then a very awkward downhill which doesn't last long but its just very muddy and slippy. I was speaking to one of the ladies after she'd finish and she said wear spikes but I only had trail shoes. After speaking to some of the guys after though the seemed to think it didn't matter what you wore it was slippy! Luckily it didn't last long and although the long finish straight was just as muddy, it is lot easier to run on mud on the flat.

So that was the first 4km lap complete and 2 to go, I heard someone shout out the time and it was 19 mins 20, which meant I hadn't gone too hard. David was still in my sights probably about 30 metres ahead. While Phillip had fell behind. Not really suprising as he has just become a Dad, so hasn't been able to get out that much, but he finished which is impressive considering there was a number who dropped out. The second lap I probably ran it a bit faster but still maintained a pace which meant I had plenty left for the last lap. It was actually quite exciting as I ran up the last short steep ascent, as the crowd were starting to go wild and running along. As the 2 leaders came through, running neck and neck. Alisdair Hay apparently had an incredible kick at the finish to win for a second year in a row.

As the last lap started I was catching David. And I remember that first uphill seeing Bernie our coach encouraging me to catch David which I managed just at the flat bit just as we were turning to go back down. To be honest I fully expected David to fly back past me on the downhill, but he never and that was the last I saw of him. I immediatley focused my attention on the next person in front then the next. I was absolutley flying up the hills and keeping a good pace down them. I remember the last long uphill well as I managed to overtake a guy from Carnegie. Every other time I overtook someone, that was it I wouldn't see them again. This guy though wasn't going anywhere! After the top of the hill, i could feel him breathing down my neck and we were running stride for stride for about a kilometre. That was until we reached the last short, sharp, steep uphill followed by the gradual incline. I really put the foot down and I never looked back until the finish. It must have worked because I ended up beating by 4 seconds. After i overtook him i saw another group of people ahead but they were out of reach and they were at least 20 seconds ahead of me. At the finish I waited for the guy from Carnegie just as sign of sportsmanship to shake his hand and thanked him because he really pushed me and it was a good battle. He shaked my hand and merely replied with his age as if because I'm 26 I'm meant to beat him. If only it worked like that but the reality is it really doesn't. I can understand that older runners, running the same time as me, do have a better age graded ranking than me. But I really hope if I'm still running at that age and a youngster beats me, I congratulate him on a good race and on a strong finish. Not letting age come into it and accepting we are in the same race.

So I headed off to find my Giffnock teammates and also waited on David coming in. We all congratulated each other, had a laugh then went on our warm down.

To be honest before this year I never really treated races as races against other people more against myself and doing the best I can do. But as one of the coaches pointed out as we were watching the women finishing. 'It doesn't matter where you are in the field there is nothing like a good battle to finish'. It's so true and I think in turn will push me to even better times.

I am really pleased with how today went, in terms of my pacing, my time of 56.56 and just running round a great course. It was also great to have the support dotted around the course from some of the senior women, Bernie, Alan, Steven and Jacqui. It always gave me a boost.

No comments: