Sunday 21 February 2010

Lochaber Marathon Training week 8

Tempo, tempo - ---- tempo!

After my epic week in week 7, I decided on the Monday to have enforced rest. The funny thing is when I went to sleep on Monday night I felt fine and was wondering to myself why I didn't go out! A true sign of an addict ;-)

Anyway on Tuesday being fully rested I decided to go for the longest tempo I did in last years loch ness training. It was 10.85 miles and the first half I did (just over 6 miles) in 8.08 pace. Then the remaining miles which only includes one long steep uphill i cranked it up and did 7.45 miles. Like last Tuesdays run, this was such a confidence booster and I felt like I could have gone on for another few miles.

Wednesday was an easy 10k. The Thursday was meant to be 3 times 2 miles but because of a lot of folk doing the National cross country at the weekend, it was decided to do a steady/tempo run instead. So after the mile warm up. I had it in my mind to take it steady which I did for the first half mile! The first 2 miles were all up hill and Jo and David went ahead. After half mile myself and another guy Colin, naturally upped it but we were still talking all the way up the Ayr road. We caught up with Jo and David right at the top of the road. So then we went on a big loop, as expected Jo and David speeded up on the downhill and i caught and passed them on the uphill. The next long down hill, Jo and Paul caught up with me and we ran together until the next long long uphill. This is where I really upped it and when I got to the top I felt suprisingly fine. So coming back down the Ayr Road I was expecting Jo, David or Paul to catch up but they never did and when I got to the bottom of the Ayr Road, Jo was only 5 seconds behind me. So its clear from this my downhill running is improving which can only be a good thing. So for the actual tempo bit I managed 6 1/2 miles in just under 50 minutes.

Friday was my rest day. Saturday was National Cross Country day, serperate report to follow. Then Sunday was another well earned rest!

No comments: