Monday 19 April 2010

18/04/10 - Lochaber Marathon


photo by Ian Goudie


The Journey to the start of the Lochaber marathon


I got into Glasgow about half 11, had a subway, then went to get the train from Queen Street up to Fort William where I met up with Stephen and Jacqui from the club. I have to say it was one of the most incredible train journeys I have been on. There were parts of Scotland I saw where the only way you could see them was train. The scenery was simply stunning. When we got to Fort William we headed over to registration which was right beside the station! So we got our numbers and headed for the hotel which was the Best Western, right in the middle of Fort William. I brought some pasta with me, so I got the staff to heat it up for me and ate it in my room, followed by a small prawn salad from Tesco. Watched some TV, then went down for a lemonade at the bar with Jacqui and Stephen for an hour then headed off to bed.

I slept really well, getting up at 8 o'clock where I ate 2 muller rices. Then went down for breakfast with S and J. Where I had a bowl of fruit/a banana and rack of toast. Went back to my room, packed up and off we went to the Nevis center again where we had a final trip to the loo and at 10.45 had our race briefing. Which was basically, go on the pavement where you can and don't run anymore than 2 abreast. Also the weather is perfect for running and should stay around 8 to 9 degrees. The guys gave me some immodium which means you shouldn't have to go to the toilet during the race, something I've not tried before, so not sure at the time whether it was the best idea before a marathon but took it anyway. The race started at 11, so by the time we got to the shinty pitch we were lined up and ready to go...

Start/First half

Stephen, Jacqui and myself had the pre-race strategy of 8 minute mile pace and see how long we could hang on. We have all done marathons before so knew we could complete them, so this was about trying to go a bit faster. Due to there being only 400 people racing today and it could have been even less number that finished; it only took 5 seconds to cross the line. Which is good because the race is not chip timed and clearly does not need to be. The first mile was mainly up hill as we headed through a few residential housing estates and onto a cycle path. When I looked at my watch and saw 7.53 for the first mile, we all looked at each other and went 'D'oh'! To fast for a first mile! We were hoping to do 8.30 to get settled. But hey what was done was done so got it out of my head and went on.

We decided to check the watch every mile but pay particular attention to the time every 5 miles. As due to undulations, up miles and down miles, it is impossible to go exactly 8 minute miles every mile. So by doing it every 5 miles you are averaging out the different variations. The first 5 miles was done in 40 minutes and 2 seconds, so pretty much bang on! The next 5 miles was weird as I seem to remember shouting out, another down hill mile, don't worry it is a bit faster. Meanwhile the scenery across the loch was stunning. Also this is roughly where I saw Ian Goudie and Gillian Scott from the park run who gave me a shout which was encouraging. Between 5 and 10, I really was in cruise control and running well. I took on shot blocs every 3 miles and had a salt tablet on the hour. At 10 mile, still well on target at 1.19.42. Between 10 mile and half way, Stephen started to drop off a bit but when we looked back he was still running fine, more just re-adjusting his comfortable pace. So it was Jacqui, a Moray runner and myself in our own wee group. We wondered when we would see the front runners coming back and the Moray runner predicted 11 miles which was bang on. There were 3 of them way out ahead including Robert Gilroy who is a regular winner at the Glasgow Park run. Half way was a guy standing in the middle of the road which we went round and started heading back.

The Second half/Finish

We went through half way at 1.44.51 so again right on pace. We saw Steven after about 30 seconds and he was still running well. He was shouting really loudly say 'What time you go through the half' because he had his earphones up loud, which was funny. Then we looked up to see Ben Nevis and the other mountains covered in snow which was stunning. The miles kept passing but then I could feel the wheels started falling off but I still managed to keep going. As when I got to 15, where I would usually take I shot bloc, I didn't as my stomach was starting to cramp. We went through 15 miles at 1.58.47 so now we were 1 minute and 13 seconds up. Between 5 - 15 miles we did one mile over 8 minutes and the rest were all under with the fastest being 7.40. The sun also turned up a notch on the way back and apparently it was more like 15 degrees. Not the best idea to have forgotten my hat and sun cream!

At this point Jacqui and the Moray runner started to go off ahead. For the next three miles I was averaging about 8.10 miles and my stomach was getting worse. At 19 my calfs started to feel like they couldn't catch a breath and I started to walk and they got their breath back. I knew I had to readjust my pace now, as there was no way i could maintain anywhere near 8 minute miles from now on. So I remembered the back up plan. Due to going through half way at 1.45 that would give me 2.15 to get to the finish under 4 hours which would still be a PB. I still didn't feel like eating because of my stomach so just tried to take on fluid. I remember passing Gillian and Ian again who were encouraging just where I needed it. I remember Stephen passing me, when I was walking and he was shouting at me to keep going. I really did try to keep up with him but couldn't and just fell away. There was another guy Tony who we met the previous day on the train who asked if I was alright. He was amazing as it didn't even look like he was trying. Another guy said run for 50 steps, walk for 50 steps. So that was now my plan. I actually ended up running for well over 200 steps and kept with 50 walking. I was probably running between 9 minute and 10 minute pace when I was running. To be honest I can't really remember much else between 20 miles and 26 miles apart from I was really slogging it out, giving it all I could until my calfs tightened again and needed a break. I turned back on to the cycle path at mile 25 and knew there was not long left. At this point there was harldy anyone around and felt like you were out on your own. But the pockets of support got larger, then I saw Gillian again followed by Stephen and Jacqui as I got on to the shinty pitch. I was so happy to finish and with my PB especially under the circumstances. As Jacqui said, if I can do a PB with a bad marathon, imagine what I could do if I get it right.

Aftermath


After I got my medal and juice. I met up with Jacqui and Stephen to find out how they did. Jacqui did incredibly! She finished in 3.29.30 seconds which is a negative split and enough to secure 3rd place for her age category. Steven also did really well and got 3.40. I ended up with 3.53 which is a PB by 14 minutes. So we all smashed our Peronal Bests.

We hung about afterwards for the awards to see Jacqui get her prize, but had to shoot off to get the train so couldn't see the whole ceremony.

Lessons Learned

What went well:

Pacing - The first 18 miles I paced really well and bang on for a 3.30. First 19 miles in 2.32!? That is the fastest I have ever run 19 miles! I know I have got a 3.30 marathon in me.

When it went wrong - I worked out tactics to keep going and ended up getting a PB

Train - Getting the train is better than driving to longer races as its so much more relaxing and you can eat and walk about when you want.

What I need to improve on:

Food - I'm not sure if it was the salt, immodian or too much food for breakfast that caused the stomach problems. Looking back at Loch ness I took Nuun and shot blocs and was totally fine. As I didn't actually have anything apart from liquids from 12 miles onwards. I think I also had too much for breakfast, I think 2 muller rices would have been enough. The shot blocs contained a minimum amount of salt, the salt sticks could have been taken every 30 minutes and be fine and I took 2 over 2 hours, but I'm not sure how much salt is in Lucozade and even so it is difficult to calculate as I never drank a full bottle. So salt is a bit of a mystery how much I took in and need to work it out better in future especially in training for Clyde Stride. Jacqui and Stephen just took gels and nurofen and were fine so think i'll drop the salt in future and try their strategy.

Long training runs - Reading back, I don't think I actually had a comfortable 20 miler in training. So going from struggling with 9 -10 minute miling in training to 8 minute mile for 26 miles was a risk. Funny thing is my longer tempo runs I did feel comfortable but only got up to 15 mile at 8.15 pace so would need to get my times down. So need to get to 20 miles training runs in 9 minute miles and make them feel comfortable.

Marathon pace - In the last week we did some mile reps around marathon pace. But apart from that I did my tempo runs slower than marathon pace (at which time though I didn't know what my marathon pace was and didn't give it a thought). But I do need at least one session a week at marathon pace for at least 10 miles, as that way I can see how I feel after 10-14 miles at that pace and the answer should be a wee bit tired.

The Start - Like everyone we literally got to the start and off we went. We went out too fast so need to make a conscious effort in future to start slower or at least have a 100 meter jog for a warm up! When I thought about it, I haven't actually ran for 2 whole days then all of a sudden I'm asking it to go eight minute miles. Would I do that in training - no, so shouldn't do it in a race.

Splits

1 Mile 7:52.53 7:52.53
2 Mile 7:49.78 15:42.31
3 Mile 8:08.58 23:50.89
4 Mile 8:06.38 31:57.27
5 Mile 8:05.16 40:02.43
6 Mile 7:56 47:58.43
7 Mile 7:54.46 55:52.89
8 Mile 8:03.76 1:03:56.65
9 Mile 7:51.95 1:11:48.60
10 Mile 7:54.34 1:19:42.94
11 Mile 7:49.93 1:27:32.87
12 Mile 7:46.44 1:35:19.31
13 Mile 7:51.61 1:43:10.92
14 Mile 7:39.57 1:50:50.49
15 Mile 7:57.26 1:58:47.75
16 Mile 8:07.92 2:06:55.67
17 Mile 8:10.66 2:15:06.33
18 Mile 8:07.23 2:23:13.56
19 Mile 8:47.81 2:32:01.37
20 Mile 11:10.11 2:43:11.48
21 Mile 11:00.29 2:54:11.77
22 Mile 11:17.13 3:05:28.90
23 Mile 11:47.1 3:17:16.00
24 Mile 10:46 3:28:02.00
25 Mile 11:10.44 3:39:12.44
26 Mile 10:44.32 3:49:56.76
26.37 Mi 3:18.05 3:53:14.81

What a day and I can't thank Stephen and Jacqui enough for their company over the weekend, it was a great laugh. Also Gillian and Ian, along with everyone else lining the course for their encouragement. Also the marshals and everyone else involved in making it a great event.

Overall, although I was going for a sub 3.30 time I am not disappointed. I am glad I went for it and I know now with a bit more training and a better fueling strategy it is within my grasp. I pleased to get a PB and if you told me a year ago I would have got a sub 4 hour marathon and ran/walk from 19 miles I wouldn't have believed you. So a lot of positives as well as learning points to take from this and it is onwards and upwards.

2 comments:

The Jimmi Henshite Experiences said...

Well done Stu, great report, great performance and decent photo too.

Steven Winston said...

Brilliant Stu! Superb writing and a great achievement, well done! I'm very jealous of your fitness and love of running, your passion for it is fantastic. Hope you had a nice lemonade to celebrate!