Friday 16 April 2010

Lochaber Marathon Training Week 16

How time flies! With the marathon looming here is my last training post for LM and some final thoughts.

Monday rest day. Tuesday went for a 4 1/2 miler with 2 miles at marathon pace which I did 8.02 and 8.05 so again pretty impressive getting that close.

Wednesday rest day. Thursday I was debating with myself whether to go the club or just to my own run but I am glad I decided to go. I just did the 1.5 mile warm up, watched the guys do the session which was 6 times kilometer reps. Then jogged back with Steven and Jacqui doing the last mile at 8 min mile pace.

Our coach and the rest were great offering words of encouragement and talked about tactics. Basically all three of us are going for 8 minute miles and see how long we can hold on for with the first mile at 8.30 pace. It got me thinking about what to do with if I was doing 8.05 - 8.10 miles. It would be easy to speed up and end up going too fast in reaction to running those sort of miles. Such is the small amount of time to speed up to, it would be almost impossible to do. So I have decided in the first 20 miles it has to feel comfortable, no matter what its saying on my watch. From the mile reps at hopeful marathon pace I have done, it does feel comfortable but its all down to what happens on the day. Then in last 6 (which my coach says is the mental half way point) if I have got something left then speed up marginally if I can!

I am really excited now and feeling springy. I am looking forward to everything about this weekend and there will be a full report on Monday with all the gorry details :-)

No comments: