Monday 30 August 2010

GSR Countdown

Slightly late as was busy yesterday. 

Last Monday I had a day off and not surprisingly my quads were sore from the previous days climbing. 

Tuesday my quads were still sore but another day off meant that for the first time ever I went to the clubs track session!

I cycled up to Williamwood and went for a warm up. I don't think I've ever been in a session where our group was all so close together and really pushing each other. The session was 1k, 800 m, 600m then do it all again. My quads were sore for the first 3 but didn't affect my running as I didn't seem to be using these muscles. Then in the second set, I did each distance faster which was pleasing. Then we did a 400m where Sheila absolutely bombed round. Then it was warm down and a cycle home. I really enjoyed the session and has put me in the mood for more track work in future.

On Wednesday I did an easy 10k. Then Thursday was down at Roukenglen park for just over 1km reps. I decided to take the first 3 easier and then try to do good ones for the last 2. The last 2, I managed 4.01 and then 3.53. The last rep in particular felt like I was really giving it everything.

Friday day off. Then Saturday I went up the Cobbler with Scott and Viv. We decided to make a decision on what mountain to climb when we got to the 3 way junction for Cobbler, Narnain and Ime. When we got there Ime and Narnain were clouded over but the Cobbler you could see the top so decided to go for that one as it would be good to actually get some views!  Which we did. When we got back to the 3 way point, Ime was clear but it was too late in the day to attempt it so Scott and I sauntered back down while Viv put the gas on as she did one of her final climbs before she attempts the 3 peaks challenge in 2 weeks time.

On Sunday I had planned a ten miler but due to having to get over to my parents early I had to cut it short to 6.5 miles. My legs were tired but not sore from the day before's hill walk but after a few miles they got into an easy rhythm and it was a good run. It was also great to see so many people from my club out and about.

Then of course it was my brothers wedding which was absolutely brilliant and I have never been so proud of him.

The UTMB race was cancelled after 20 miles. I can't imagine how people would feel after all the training they put into this sort of a race then getting cancelled after 3 hours. But with these things its always about safety first and the 80 mph winds and mudslides you can't risk it. But kudos to the organisers for putting on another race the next day even if it was 'just' 100k instead of 100 miles. And even better news is Jez Bragg won!

On Sunday it is the Great Scottish Run. My 10th half marathon and 4th running at the GSR. Will be very interesting to see how I get on. I am going for a PB (Under 1.36.48), but just have to see if I can get the right pacing and if so whether I can sustain it.  I am definitely running faster at the moment than I have ever gone before but at the same time I haven't done as much tempo runs or long runs recently so will have to see how much endurance I have in the legs.  I am also excited to see how I get on compared to the people at my club and park run who are about the same standard.

No comments: