Sunday 22 August 2010

Almost a solid week of pure illness

Monday I went out for a 4.5 mile run and felt groggy, I knew a cold was coming. Tuesday I went out a mile then turned back as my throat was jumping up and down and getting sorer. I know they say if its the neck and above run but this was making running a trial so just decided to leave it until it got better so no activity all the way through to Saturday.

I am always in denial that running causes any of my illnesses. But I think this time looking back it may have. From Wednesday to Sunday the week before I did 4 hard sessions in 5 days. I don't normally do that and think that must have been it.

Saturday I went along to park run and helped marshal the 1 lap/2 lap split point. It was fun again cheering on all the runners and talking to Stephani and David. I have decided not to take up the director role for the time being. My ultra plans along with wanting to run the park run more mean I'll be busy enough but it is something I want to do in the future and if I get injured it is a no brainer.

Another decision I have taken this week is to pull out of the Loch Ness Marathon. I just haven't got in the long runs I would have liked to since Clyde Stride due to this, that and the next thing. Also I looked at my schedule for September and I realise I am just not doing focused marathon training and marathons are definitely not a race to underestimate and even if I said I would take it easy I know that would change the minute I hit the start line. So instead I have signed up for the Mugdock Trail race the week after - more mud filled madness!

Which brings me nicely on today. I feel a lot better but didn't fancy a long run today as didn't want to push things too soon. So I drove up to Arrochar and climbed Beinn Narnain. Although the weather forecast said Sunny intervals/good visibility. It was raining the whole way up and couldn't see more than 20 metres in front of me. I was planning on doing Beinn Ime but decided to take the easy option, a) because of the weather, b)just back from illness, c) save Ime for another time. I managed 3mph for the first 3 miles up to the cobbler/ime/narnain three way junction, taking a gel every half an hour. Then turned up the steep slope to the top of Narnain, through boulders and marsh. When I got up to the top, I couldn't actually believe it when I saw the trig point. It almost felt too easy to be a munro. It took me 1 hour 25 mins to get to the top. So after sorting myself out and taking a clif bar I headed down. I took a slightly too much to the north route off Narnain and ended up on the path to Beinn Ime. I took my time over the boulders but as soon as I got to the marsh I was running. It was so much fun running through the marsh as it is just so soft! Due to the poor visibility I took a quick compass check at the turn style and headed south back to the three way junction so I hadn't gone that far off course as you can see from the map:

After running for a wee bit down the path, I took off my trousers so that I could run freely down the rest of the trail in my shorts. The bit where the path divides on the map and just goes straight is just where I forgot to start the garmin after changing! But it was only about 5-6 minutes. I really enjoyed the descent down the trail, jumping over rocks and burns. I am still not that good at the steeper bits but that will come.


Overall a great day and is really getting me in the mood for more hills. It was also the first time I used my inov8 back pack which was really good. Shoulders are fine and the zip pockets in the bit that clips across your waist is really handy for gels.   I want to get to the stage where I can jog up the hills or at least the less steep bits.

Next weekend is the biggest weekend of the year. UTMB!!! no not really (although it is the biggest ultra in Europe).  It is the biggest weekend of the year for me, cos my brother is getting married!

But I will be looking at the results for after. Geoff Roes and Scott Jurek are coming over from the States for it. Killian Journet is looking to make it 3 in a row. Britain have Jez Bragg who claims he has had his best stint of training ever. Will also be interesting to see how West Highland way race winner and Scotland's own, Richie Cunningham gets on. Obviously there will be loads more people to look out for as this is such a competitive race.

Anyway, hopefully I am now over this cold and can have 1 more week of good training before a taper week for the Great Scottish Run.

No comments: