Sunday 15 August 2010

A solid week pure running in the bag

Monday I wanted to go out but didn't get home from work till 8, so when I sat down in the flat I suddenly realised how tired I was, so decided an early night would be more beneficial.

Tuesday was a strange one. I went out, got 1/2 mile into my run then my leg started to feel sore, hard to describe but decided it wasn't worth risking it so jogged back. I then did some housework for an hour and realised my leg was ok. So I went back out and did 3 miles and it was fine. It's almost as if I was just shaking off the rust after not running for 3 whole days!

Wednesday, the rust was back for the first half mile then it went. What a run! I did my usual 6.4 mile route taking it at a nice steady pace and got round in a route record time of just under 50 minutes. Previously my quickest was 52 something and I felt great after it so even better.

Thursday night, club night. Tonight it was a session I had never done before - 30 minutes out along the Ayr Road then run back. The first mile to Eastwood Toll we just took at 8 min mile pace. When we got to Eastwood Toll, a few went on but the rest of us waited for our group to get together. I thought about going on but I thought a short break would be better before 30 minutes up the Ayr Road. So we were off, this is when I found out it was 30 minutes from the club and not from Eastwood Toll. At that point I thought I just want to really go for it for 20 minutes and see how far I can get. I would say it is the first time I have really taken a risk in these sessions, in terms of running out of energy as this was 20 minutes of gradual incline. First couple of miles were 7.12 then 7.14. Then I was really giving it everything and my pace dropped to 7.28. But I made it, 2.8 miles in 20 minutes which meant I made it to the roundabout beside Mearns Primary. Easily the fastest I have ever run up the Ayr Road. When I turned back I used the first mile to get my breath back so that was a 7.16. Then I gradually got into the swing of things, doing a 7.02 then 6.43 pace down to Eastwood Toll. I eased off a bit after that as I wanted a warm down. That was until B group guys started flying past, so although I couldn't catch them I ended up doing 7.30 for the last mile. I can't wait to do this session again and do it properly and see how far I can get with the extra 2 minutes.

Friday I took the day off. Then Saturday of course I had that park run! I also got talking to one of the volunteers, Gav, after I finished my run and turns out he did Clyde Stride too. I asked him how he did and he was 2nd with 2 miles to go then took a fall and ended up coming 4th and 3rd male, I think my response was WOW!. Looks like he is totally hooked on ultras as he is doing Speyside and River Ayr in the next month. I also got talking to Sue and she was talking about the D33 which is an out and back ultra up in Aberdeen which she reckons is next February but might be March, which is starting to tempt me. February race is gonna be a tricky one - D33, Barcelona half, Carnethy 5 or National cross country!? Afterwards I went for a warm down with Ian, Jim and Martin before heading into the Burrel for drinks. One of the directors, Alan, asked me if I wanted to be a director! WOW, He said I've done all the tasks and know what is involved. I am considering it and I think am pretty much a yes. So watch this space!

Sunday I went up to the club for the first time in ages for the Sunday long run. I was happy they chose a route I hadn't done before. There must have been about 10 of us and everyone seemed to have a story about this run. Whether this was there first proper run back after a while a way or what they'd done the day before. So it was one of those runs we were all just wanting to get through it which everyone did. Personally I am so pleased to get this one on the board as it is my longest continual run (no walking) in ages. I especially liked the way back through all the parks as I've never been on that bit before and it was just really enjoyable. The group did start to spread out after the first half. Then in the last 2 miles Gordon and Stephen stepped it up and I couldn't keep up but was still very pleased with the run.

All in all it was about 13 miles with great company.

Overall a great week and its good to get a really solid 36 mile week in which I can build on. Hopefully I can get back up to 50 mile weeks again in September.

No comments: