Saturday 14 August 2010

14/08/10 - Glasgow Park Run #85

After pulling out of the Helensburgh half marathon at the start of August, I decided to go for a park run for my race for August. I was meant to go on a long run with Alex today but he pulled out due to a foot injury. So I had a look at the volunteer roster and it was full to the brim so decided this would be my race for August.

I got to Pollock Park about ten to nine and immediately went on my warm up which was about a mile. I felt a bit sick as my breakfast hadn't quite gone down but I thought with half an hour before the start it would be settled by then. When I got back I got chatting to Sue from my club who did the Devil O'highlands race last weekend, so we were trading stories and talking about plans for next year. Then I headed up to the start where I lined up beside Martin from my club.

Before we knew it we were off and as expected Martin flew off in front down the gentle slope. I got into my relaxed stride which has worked wonders in training. When we turned up the hill I got alongside Martin and then as we turned the corner again I started pulling away. Then I passed Ian Goudie, who I would have a good race with today. As we started going down the hill he went back past me. Although I didn't know it at the time as I never looked at my watch I did the first mile in 6.38. Then got down to the glade and back up to the split where I overtook Ian again along with quite a few other people. I was feeling really strong on the uphills. I thought I might be pushing it too much but I thought I might as well try and keep it going and see what happens.

So I got to the lap 1/lap 2 split where there was a good crowd of people including the marshals cheering which was a good boost. Then I went down the hill and you guessed it, Ian passed me. Going back up the slope and round up the gradual hill I overtook him. That was mile 2 done in 6.45. It should really be slower than the first mile as over half the first mile is totally flat/slightly downhill. As I went down the hill towards the glade I expected Ian to overtake again but this time he wasn't there to my surprise. I thought then I might finally get to beat him as the rest of the course was mainly uphill now. Somehow I was still runnning strong on the uphills and overtook quite a few people. When I got to the lap 1/2 split, I turned towards the finish down the hill and tried my best to go down without getting overtaken and no one did. Last mile I did in 6.44. Plus you have the .1 of a mile to make it up to 5k.

I crossed the line thinking. a) that must be a PB and b) although pushing it, I still had something left in the tank. I looked at my Garmin 20.43!! Amaaaaaaaaaaaazing! I still can't believe it. I knocked 48 seconds off my PB which for a 5k is ridiculous and I know will not happen again by that kind of margin. Sue gave me my position and it was 32..out of 279! The even funnier thing is that back when I set the previous PB in April here is a quote from my blog:

I have a bit of a way to go before touching Jacqui and Steven's PBs which are in the 20.40s but it is good to have something to aim for :-)

Jacqui's PB for the course is 20.40 and Stephen's is 20.48 so I am now sandwiched in between them on the Giffnock list of parkrun PBs

Although I had something left in the tank I don't think I could go that much faster at the moment but I could go on for longer.

Afterwards I shook hands with various people including Martin and Ian. Turns out Ian got a course best and just missed out on a sub 21 minute run. I have ran in the same race as Ian, four or five times now and he has beaten me every time, so it was nice to finally get one on the board! Martin was a bit slower this week but last week he got a course best too. Due to this being the only course I have run still for 5k it is my pb overall.

Overall I am so happy with this run, as I say I still can't believe it and it is another gold target met which was a sub 21 minute 5k.

I really can't wait for the Great Scottish run now!

No comments: