Sunday 26 December 2010

Marcothon - the end is in sight

This has definitely been the toughest week so far, maybe not physically but for sure, mentally. I was in two minds at the start of the week whether to keep going with the high mileage or have a more relaxed week after 3 big weeks. That in the end was dictated to me.

On Monday I got home from work at 8.15pm, taking me 4 hours to get home and that was after getting rescued from Holytown where the train stopped and we were all told to get off. Luckily my Dad said he would come and pick me up as I had no idea where I was and not many trains stopped there. My parents cooked me dinner and by 9pm I set off for a run and ended up doing just over 4 miles. I wore my microspikes but didn't really need them as the pavements were well gritted and it was harder to find good stretches of ice to run along. In bed by 10pm back up at 7, this time it took 3 1/2 hours to get into work. By the time I got home it was 7.30pm.

This was Tuesday and already things were starting to take its toll. I set off for a run as soon as I got home, then half way round I actually felt myself falling asleep and by the end I think I may have been sleep running for small sections! So in bed by 9.15pm, this time up and out the door by 6.30am to try and get in at a respectable time, and ended up getting in at the time I usually got in but took 40 minutes longer. Got home at 7.30pm again and set out for another very tired 4 miler.

Thursday and the holiday begins! I have never been so relieved to be on holiday. I had a long lie and went to the club at night. Not only that but we did our first proper session in over a month. There was a back road which is about a km in length we used to do km reps. Its a long gradual uphill, followed by a short but not too steep downhill and we just went back and fourth along it. It was the first time in a month I dipped below 7min mile for 2 of the reps so a good session.

Friday I still had to buy Christmas cards so I did my 4.5 mile run stopping off on the way.

Saturday I went up to park run in Pollock Park and had great fun marshalling, as I had some good banter with the runners and everyone was in a good mood being Christmas. Even better was that Giffnock won the mens and womens races this week. Afterwards there was drinks and baking which people brought to celebrate Christmas which was fun. I had planned to run up to my parents but after skidding along to park run I decided just to go on a short run round the block.

The main road pavements which I have been using a lot as they have been in good condition had now become ice sheets. It was a very stop/starty run as i pretty much had to skate across ice patches and hop on and off roads which were a bit safer in terms of less ice but of course more dangerous because of the cars. The problem with the ice was that it was such a thin covering over the concrete I didn't think spikes would be much good and could end up damaging them. The run was my slowest ever at 48 minutes for 4 miles but this run was all about staying up right which I managed.

Today I decided to do something I've wanted to do in ages and that's to do a full golf course run. I headed off to Linn Park and as soon as I reached it put on my spikes. My brother had been there yesterday and said it was fine in terms of ice. Today was a different ball game as it was just sheet ice but thick enough for my spikes to sink into. The golf course was good fun, although I did lose track of which hole I was on and I think I missed out a few as the hole numbers weren't clear. I then headed down some good trails before heading home. It was just a relief after yesterday to have a safe run away from roads and the dangerous ice.

So good news is I am still on course to complete the Marcothon 26/26 and I'm up at 30 days consecutive running which is a new record for me.  I can safely say I probably would have run about 2 days this week if I wasn't doing the Marcothon!

4 comments:

Ali Bryan-Jones said...

Good stuff Stuart. I've missed five days of the last eight so you are doing much better than me. What course have you entered in the LAMM? Have you done it before?

Stuart said...

Hi Ali. Cheers, missing only 5 days of this month isn't bad going since what we've had to deal with this month!

I have never done LAMM before and neither has the guy I am doing it with, have you? I'm down for the D class

Ali Bryan-Jones said...

Hi Stu, I've done the B once and the A a couple of times. It's a great event - you'll enjoy it though getting up at 5am and going again on day 2 is tough at first. My best advice is do lots and lots of hill training!

Stuart said...

Ouch! 5am is tough to get up at the best of times, never mind having a day in the hills in your legs! Sure I'll manage though. Cheers for the advice too, I plan to do lots in the hills once the snows gone!