Thursday 30 December 2010

30/12/10 - S.O.G.U - (Southside of Glasgow Ultra) report + video

You probably haven't heard of this ultra because I made it up about 5 days ago! Well it's really a training run but I thought SOGTR didn't have the same ring to it.

The Idea


I was making up a list of all the things I wanted to do when I was off work and one of them was to go for a long run to celebrate completing the Marcothon. I thought doing 31 miles on the 31st December to finish with would be a fitting way to complete the challenge. So I set about devising a route round the southside of Glasgow. I had thought about the WHW but I quite liked the idea of starting and finishing at my flat and not having to travel to get to the start/finish. So I thought about all the routes I have done and some of the clubs long runs and combined quite a few of them. I also liked the idea of going into the Fling having done one long run on my own because in the race I could be running on my own for long periods of time. So it was to test of mental strength too.

Over the last few days I thought about it more and more and decided to move it forward a day, so I wasn't too knackered for New Year (or at least have a days rest before it!) and I want to do the parkrun on New Years day. So I knew it would be a wee bit of a gamble doing 30/30 days for the Marcothon then having to do a run on the 31st with potentially extremely sore legs. But I thought I could get round 3 miles even if I have to crawl so 30th it was. When planning the route I also wanted to make sure I had plenty of opt out points along the route so if things weren't going well I could cut it short but in the end I didn't need them.

Here is the route I did, which was near enough to plan with a few exceptions:



1st stage - Cathcart to Tescos in Newton Mearns (10 miles)

The first 8 miles was all pavements and pretty flat with some undulations. I headed off towards Hampden, along Aitkenhead road which heads towards town. Then heading west along Calder Road to Crossmyloof before heading along beside Pollock Park. I had thought about going into Pollock Park but its difficult to work out mileages on the trails on mapping software so I just stuck to the roads. I then headed through Thornlibank and along to Darnley. That was the longest stretch of urban areas I would do and it was good to get it out the way early on. I was doing 13 minutes running, 2 minutes walking for the whole stretch. This is when I turned up Corselet Road which I had never been on before and it was awesome. It was more of forest track than a road and after about half a mile no traffic was allowed beyond that point. Waulkmill and Ryatlinn reservoirs were so picturesque as they were still iced over and the mist was really low. I remember passing a road which said no unauthorised entry which is the road I thought I was meant to turn left at, at the time. But looking at the map now, it was right in between the 2 reservoirs and I must have been so distracted I totally missed them!  No big deal though I just came out a junction after the one i thought I was going to come out at. So I turned left and headed down the road to Tesco.

2nd Stage - Tesco Newton Mearns to Mearns Castle High School (21 miles)

Bought some water and doubled back until I got back to the junction. This is the bit I was looking forward to the most which was a 5 mile loop round countryside backroads. I had made a point when route planning to avoid going along 60mph roads for as little as possible and for starter I was on one for maybe 50 meters. Then I turned right and the next 5 miles were really quiet single lane roads and I must have seen about 4 cars and 3 walkers. It was great and really undulating. I had changed tack with pacing and just walked the hills and run all the downs and flats (WHW style!). I finished the loop in no time which took me out at the top of the Ayr Road. The next section was suburbia along my old running stomping ground and I still use the area for some of my longer runs (or middle distance runs nowadays!). Next pitstop was at my parents where I re-fuelled and chatted to my Dad for a bit. Then it was onwards to my next checkpoint, Mearns Castle High School.

3rd Stage - Mearns Castle High School to Cathcart - (32 miles)

From Mearns Castle I took a track which I use to mountain bike down a lot when I was younger. There were a lot of puddles, showing the thaw had totally kicked in. It's a nice track going through fields and along beside Earn water. I then turned up Humbie Road which is a 60mph road. It is no where near as bad as it use to be though since the Southern Orbital got built right beside it taking a lot of the traffic off Humbie. I was only going to be on it for a mile though and there was a grass verge to run along anyway. I then took a sharp right on to the Bonnyton moor road which starts off with 1.5 miles of continuous uphill. I walked a lot of it. Usually on a good day you can see right across Glasgow from the top but not today as it was so foggy. I was surprised when I looked in the other direction the fog had lifted and I saw the wind farm motionless in the distance. Then it was onwards to Eaglesham where I dropped in at Spar to get another bottle of water. Just 500mls this time as from this point it was just 6 miles to go. It was mostly downhill though, but by this time my legs were sore and I just ran as much as I could, walked for 2 minutes and repeated until I eventually got to Cathcart. Finished! What a high I got from finishing.

After thoughts

Mentally I really nailed this run, I always thought I was going to finish and just enjoyed the ride. Overall I covered 32 miles in 6 hours 2 minutes which I'm also really pleased with. It was so nice too, to get straight in the door after the run and have a bath. I'm feeling good now going into WHW training next year. Tomorrow's run is going to be interesting!

Video

I don't normally do a video for training runs but since I was running by myself I used it as a weapon to keep my mind occupied. It's amazing how much time it does take up. It's not just the actual filming as you are also thinking - where I am I going to take the next video and what am I going to say etc. So again I found it useful. So here it is and I promise it's not all pictures of food establishments ;-)


S.O.G.U - Southside of Glasgow Ultra from Stuart McBeath on Vimeo.

5 comments:

Ali Bryan-Jones said...

Well done Stuart - for finishing and remembering the route. That's good mental strength to keep going after you'd seen your dad rather than just stop there for cups of tea and christmas cake.

NORRY said...

Great run stuart, just tops of your month...

Stuart said...

Thanks guys and all the best for 2011!

Norry - Totally agree- this has been my best training month ever!

Ali - haha, yeah - tea, cake....oh is that chocolates. I like how it is acceptable or nessesary to eat in ultras but if I ate all that I defo would struggle to get back up again never mind run, lol

Ian Goudie said...

Well done Stuart, great run, great blog, great video and great music too. Good, good, good.

Ian

Stuart said...

Thanks Ian!