Sunday 2 January 2011

Marcothon complete plus first race of 2011

This week has been a lot of fun on the running front.

Monday I headed to Roukenglen Park and did 5 times half mile reps on the grass, plus warm up and warm down. The route was interesting with the thaw kicking in, so there were big puddles to run through in places and there was still snow in other places.

Tuesday I thought the track might be on so I headed up to Williamwood school. I turned up and Neil who is one of the coaches and an excellent runner too, was there. The problem was the lights were all off! Another guy turned up but left again. After chatting to Neil for a bit I headed off for my own run. I wanted to get some speed work in so ended up doing a mini Fartlek session.

Wednesday I was already thinking about Thursday's run so I just did an easy 3.25 miles.

Thursday has its own blog

On Wednesday night, Debbie who set up the Marcothon challenge on Facebook sent everyone doing it a message saying they were planning on going down to Pollok Park and doing the park run route to celebrate completing the Marcothon. I sent one back saying maybe because I had a bed being delivered that day so wasn't sure if I was going to make it. But the bed was delivered at 8am so I headed down. 14 of us made it down and Richard, one of the park run directors was down too, to recce the course for tomorrows run. I thought my legs would be tired from yesterday, but although tired I was running fine and chatting took my mind completely off what my legs were doing anyway. It was great meeting everyone and I really enjoyed the run where we ended up doing 5 miles which equated to 2 big laps and 1 small lap.  The course was still really icy in places and we were slowed to a walk to cross some of the bits or had to go in the mud at the side in places.

Picture of the Glasgow Marcothonees:



Marcothon complete! It was by far my best ever training month and I ended up doing 218 miles with 2 really good long runs. I've really enjoyed the challenge of running each day especially in this weather and also reading about how everyone else has got on with it.

I went to a friends for New Year but was up and out early back down to Glasgow park run. I felt it was quite appropriate to finish 2010 doing a park run and start 2011 doing a park run. So Saturday I was going to run it too. I parked outside the park so I could get a warm up. I then mingled and said happy new year to folk before we headed off to the start. It was the second choice cross country course today which is 5 times 1km laps with 2 hills on each lap with the course following an 'n' shape. I had no idea how to pace this one so I set off at a pace I thought I could maintain. I have to say I absolutely loved this route, especially as I got really muddy and the trail which goes back down to the start is just awesome! I ended up finishing in 24.14 which was 30 th place out of 103. A great start to the year. Afterwards I went on another lap of the course for a warm down, talked to Martin who was marshaling and then chatted to more folk at the registration area where there was plenty of food since the Burrell was closed quite a few people brought some. Needless to say I made the most of it!

I went on a warm down back to the car and was just changing my shoes when Gillian and Alan, 2 of the directors pulled up. They were going to Richards for a post race coffee and asked if I wanted to join. So I went along for some more chat, drinks and biscuits. Then Francis gave out some parkrun t-shirts! Not the 'I've done 50 park run' ones obviously - but volunteer ones! It might be a while till I'll be wearing it due to the weather but come summer it will be out in force.

Today - I did no running! Yes I had a rest day, the first in 36 days.

Roll on 2011!

No comments: