Saturday 19 February 2011

19/02/11 - National Cross Country Championships

I LOVE IT when a plan comes together – Hannibal from A-Team

What a day. It started early as I wanted to support one of my clubmates who was doing a 24 hour spinathon. I didn’t actually do the spinner, just chatted for a bit before I headed for park run. I have to say considering she had already been going for 15 hours when I saw her, she looked fresh and was in great spirits which was great to see.

I then headed down to park run. I wasn’t actually assigned a job this week – I just acted as a general dogs body providing extra help at the start and the funnel. It was fun and a good laugh as always.
I headed home had a snack before heading to Falkirk with White Lies new album on loud to get me psyched up for the race. I arrived just in time to see the Women completing their first lap. I cheered on the Giffnock women and new ultra buddy Silke who was in her Greenock Glenpark colours.

I went for a warm up then headed for the start. There was a 30 second applause at the start for 3 runners who had unfortunately passed away. I then went through the course in my head and the plan of action. The gun went off and I blanked out everyone and just concentrated on finding a nice sustainable pace for the first lap. I knew from my warm up that the course was a lot more muddy and chewed up this year. So I re-evalutaed my expectations, as a PB was probably not on the cards. So the first lap was all about working out the best line to take – through the middle of the deepest mud or to the left or the right. Then you have to decide how far left or right! All part of the fun and I was pleased that I was getting really muddy on the first lap.

After the second hill the course flattens out then goes on an up and down dip. I used my hill running knowledge here and went to the far left going down the hill then went diagonally up and right. This meant that I was going up a less steep gradient than I would have gone up if I chose to go straight up. I was running along the other side of the banking and looked over to where I had just come from and realised there was very few runners and I was quite far back.  This was the plan though. At the corner just heading left where Callender house is. Hazel who is David L from my club’s partner was there so I threw the gloves over to her. As now I was getting into it. I started gradually overtaking. I think I must have been 2nd or 3rd last Giffnock at this point. 

Now I figured out short and long term targets. Short was the person in front of me regardless of club. Long was the person in front of me in a Giffnock vest.  I went up the last big hill and Alan the team captain was there and shouted encouragement -  he always seems to know what to say at the right times to get me going!  I kept going with my short term targets all the way round then all the way round the second lap. Up the last big hill Alan shouted “catch Neil” who was in sight but I still had a bit of ground to make up. Just on the straight before the home straight on the second lap. Lots of cheering was going on. It was the leader. Now last year it was a Shettleston guy and Alistair Hay of Central going for it neck and neck. This year it was a guy from Kilbarchan who absolutely romped home to victory. In fact second and third didn’t overtake me. They were crossing the line as I was turning up the hill for my third lap. At last as I was going up that hill I overtook Neil. Next in sight but still far off was David L. I remember before I went up the hill into the forest. I saw Hazel and joked that I had a fishing rod and was reeling him in. It wasn’t until after the steep up down going along the straight to Callendar house when I overtook him.

Next up was Hugh. Who said he hasn’t been training much recently. I knew instantly when I saw him he wasn’t performing like he was capable of. A) because he is a sub 19 minute 5k runner usually and B)I should be nowhere near him!  But up the last major hill I overtook him. Next up was Billy but he was way ahead and I thought there was a slim chance of catching him. I stayed positive though and went back to my short term targets and knocked them off one by one. Then in the finishing straight I realised Billy was next up! I cranked on the gas into full sprint mode giving it everything I had left. I must have been about 40/50 meters to the line when I drew level. He glanced at me and then also went into full sprint mode. He was getting away when the blaze turned to grass and he tripped up and fell over. I didn’t even try not to laugh! This was brilliant! What a finish Billy got overtaken by another guy too but there must have been seconds between the 3 of us.
We had post race analysis and I was pleased to get under the hour although not sure my time exactly as I forgot to stop my watch at the finish due to the madness! We all shook hands and I reckon Billy will be back later in the season for a revenge race – I can’t wait!

Overall a great day, I appreciated all the support – It was very nice of the Giffnock women to stay behind and support the men. Also the wives, girlfriends and Alan the men’s team captain for all the motivation round the course.  And thanks to the marshalls, organisers and everyone else involved in making this a great event.

7 comments:

John Kynaston said...

Well done Stuart.

The Kilbarchan guy was Derek Hawkins - a great win for my club!

Stuart said...

Thanks John!

Yeah totally John, a great win - I'm sure he beat Alistair Hay too! Think Alistair was second or third, as it was neck and neck between him and an Inverclyde guy.

Stuart said...

will check when the results come out

ianbeattie1 said...

well done Stuart. I was there somewhere in the 450 or so runners. Sorry we didn't get a chance to meet but hopefully catch up at some point. Ian

Stuart said...

Thanks Ian. Well done to you too!

I think I saw you just before the gun went off. Then you whooshed into the distance. :-)

I'm sure there'll be a chance to meet at some point in the near future.

cheers

Stu

Ali Bryan-Jones said...

Hi Stu, I really enjoyed your reading your post - it made me want to have a go at a cross country race sometime.

Phew, it's passed - now I can get back to running really slow.

Stuart said...

Haha! Cheers Ali