Friday 11 February 2011

Good News, Good News, Good News, Tinto and Clyde Stride

I went to see the doctor yesterday and he is happy for me to go back on a phased return, with the aim of getting back to full time in a month.  He was really complementary, saying I did the right thing catching it early and getting help. He said there are many people who out there who don't realise they have a problem. To be honest it was easier for me to realise I had a problem this time as I've been through it before. Last time it took me a lot longer to realise I had a problem. At the same time getting a compliment from my doctor is awesome! I'll still be seeing the psychiatrist just in case.

It will be a bit different going back to work this time as last time this happened all the problems started in work and it really took a lot of courage to go back. This time work had nothing to do with it so I am half expecting some questions but I feel good and ready for going back and I'm looking forward to seeing everyone again as they are a great bunch of people to work with.

Yesterday I went up Tinto Hill with my friend Steven and his brother. It was a lovely day, no wind, 360 views and could see right into Glasgow. No racing up it this time just a nice relaxing stroll. Steven fancied going to New Lanark after to have a coffee so I was only to happy to go back to the place where I finished my first ultra. I didn't explain fully to them why we went to a certain patch of grass but told them this is where the race finished. I don't think anyone could relate unless they have finished their first ultra. Especially one where I had such a good experience.  I don't think I really appreciated at the time what I achieved - probably due to tiredness. But looking back it is one of my greatest achievements and New Lanark will always be special to me. Not many races out there apart from ultras that you get a handshake from the Race Director. Also it was great my parents being there to see me finish.

I know the race was meant to finish in Bonnington Linn but didn't I think because of roadworks or something. But this year I'm still going to walk back down to New Lanark after the finish. I know I keep referring to the Clyde Stride video and said at the end  Temper Trap was "Partly appropriate"as we went up river, not down. Well if you listen to Aerosmith's - Amazing in full - you'll realise that, that song is fully appropriate!



Let the good times roll :-)

No comments: