Tuesday 1 March 2011

Kilpatrick Hills

Today was a great day.  In the morning I had my psychiatrist appointment. Normally when I go in to one, I think "do I really need to be here" and everytime I come out of it thinking "Yes, I did need to be there and feel a lot better for it.

Today I went into it thinking "I really need a psychiatrist right now" and came out of it feeling a lot better for it! Don't ask me how they do it - years of practice I imagine but they do work wonders.

In the afternoon I did some stuff then went back to the Kilpatricks hills. What a run! The morning was mental therapy. The afternoon was mental and physical therapy. I decided today to change my usual route and not go all the way up the road. Instead I turned off the road where the Kilpatrick Hill race goes up. Instead of following the route exactly, I headed straight for the trig point. This is the first time I've actually gone up this way - usually I just use this route to go down. I enjoyed it so much, my days of going all the way up the road are over.  When I got to the trig point I stopped and had a look around to get my breath back and have some water. Then I headed along the ridge joining up with the hill race route before it joins on to the road. I then followed the hill race route all the way round back to the trig point and back down to the car.  I didn't see a single person until I headed back down on the road where there was a runner coming the other way. But I did have the sheep for company who Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa'd me in the right direction.

I used my Hokas today which worked well generally, but I think Inov8s might still be better on the hillier stuff, especially steeper rocky terrain. So I might just leave the Hokas for really long runs on trails.

I had the added bonus today that it was nice and boggy so got muddy too.

4 comments:

SlowTransRunning said...

How are the Hoka one ones working out Stuart? They look an interesting concept and really comfy.
Your so right about the psychiatrists and the like. Sometime I come out in tears, other times feeling better, but they do do stuff to you somehow that helps. Not sure how though!
STR

Tim said...

Your hill run sounds a lot like mine Stuart. There's no doubt that thrashing yourself up a hill and bounding through the mud is a fantastic headclearing bit of exercise.

If you're ever in Ayr, drop me a line and I'll take you up it.
http://www.zen31010.zen.co.uk/Files/carrickhills.kmz

Stuart said...

Hey STR - Yeah they are really comfy. I think on less technical trails and road they are excellent. But I'm gonna go back to inov8s for the more technical hilly stuff. They just give more grip and are lower to the ground so you know have more of an idea how close your foot is to the ground. If that makes sense. Hokas are almost like wearing an inch platform shoes - running.

Stuart said...

Thanks Tim, will do.

Totally agree about the head-clearing - it's like hitting the refresh button on a browser window.