Sunday 1 November 2015

October

Well this month started well enough with the Kielder 10k which has its own post.

The following week I was down at Strathclyde parkrun. It was a good steady run and I was pleased to dip below 29 minutes for 28.59.

The next week I made the trip up to Callender park to run my second Falkirk parkrun.  After the first time I really wanted to conquer that hill this time.  So I started off slower.  Maybe a bit too slow as when I looked behind me after 100 meters there was only 5 people behind me. But I stuck with the plan and found when I began climbing up the first hill I was gradually overtaking people.  When I got round to that hill this time I had plenty of energy and managed to get to the top without walking.  So mission accomplished.  I had a look at my time when I got home and it was 31.23 which was actually 12 seconds slower than my first time there. So maybe I could have given it a bit more here.  Still really enjoy running at Callender park though, it is one of my favourites.

Last week I was back Pollok park where it was raining quite badly right up until kick off.  So there were a lot of puddles throughout the course.  Meaning it was slower going but fun all the same coming in at 30.27.

This week I have been on holiday and it has given me time to reflect on my running for this year and also plan what I want to do going forward.  I managed 3 runs on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. No parkrun on the Saturday though due to a dodgy night sleep.  It is actually the first Saturday since April where I have not run on a Saturday, most of course being parkruns.

Anyway back to analysis of this year.  When you look at my times compared to end of year last year.  For Strathclyde parkrun I have improved by about 20 seconds.  Then for Pollok parkrun I have come close to beating 29.08 I recorded last year but never have.  Now don't get me wrong, I have thoroughly enjoyed doing all the parkruns this year.  But I have not been improving at all.  Now it is obvious why and I have been saying it in my posts all year about lack midweek runs.  But its almost like I can just turn up and get round 5ks and 10ks at slower times and be happy with that. I know doing 3 miles a week may see improvements for starter but from past experience you need to put in the work if you want to get faster.  Now I think its time to challenge myself more which in turn will spur on the motivation to get out more, but at the same time will mean less parkruns.  I'll see if it works and if not I can always go back to doing "At least I got out there" parkruns once a week.

No comments: