Wednesday 21 December 2016

Marcothon Week 3

Day 15:  After the high of the end of last week, it was going to end at some point. Today was a tougher run.  I did my usual 3 mile route and added a 0.7 mile loop round Newlands park.  I still managed to get quicker every mile though.

Day 16:  Completely different route today taking in some of the southsides toughest climbs. They were early on in the 3 mile route. And yes they took it out of me! But I persevered and managed to get round without walking.

Day 17: Today I headed for Pollok parkrun and it was a bit of a mess to say the least.  A restless night meant I was really tired going into this.  And when I'm tired I might as well be drunk which is exactly how I approached this run.  No real warm up. Didn't realise it at the time but started too quickly and my body just felt ill which I think was due to the lack of warm up. Over the first 2 miles I found myself getting slower and slower. Then I resigned to run/walking the rest.  I did feel better after a hot shower so will hopefully be ok for tomorrow.

Day 18:  Worked hard again today in what on paper was an easy run.  But ran all the way and got faster every mile so job done.

Day 19: Today I did my usual 3 mile route..... with a twist!  For the first time ever I did it clockwise.  It was weird as it just felt like a totally different run.  It does feel easier in this direction as there is only one long big hill.  Whereas the other direction there are more gradual uphills with running the big hill downwards.  Took a while to warm up but once I got going it felt good.

Day 20: I enjoyed yesterday's run so much I decided to do the same again. But this time I did it quicker with a couple of sub 9 minute miles. Got into my stride and felt good. Lucky I went out in the afternoon as it was frosty in the morning and downpours in the evening.

Day 21:  Tonight was one of those runs I felt like I was going like Mo Farah but I was actually running probably the slowest pace I have run since the Marcothon began.  It wasn't a bad run by any means. I did my clockwise route like the last 2 days but threw in a couple of laps round Newlands Park making it a 4.5 mile run.  It was a wild night with both wind and rain which is probably one of the reasons I was running slower.

Not the week I thought it was going to be due to having a few bad days early on but I definitely finished strongly again.  Really want to get a 10k run in before the month is over so will see how that goes.  I have a funny feeling Barbara might have something to say about that though....

No comments: