Saturday 28 April 2018

The run down on April

This month for me was National flat parkrun month with mixed results. Out of the 4 on offer this month I did 3.

First up was Catterick parkrun in Yorkshire which was my first time at the event.  My parents and I were travelling down for a family reunion in Harlow. So we drove to Scotch Corner on the Friday which is pretty close Catterick and stayed there overnight. Meaning it was a 10 minute drive in the morning to get there for the 9am start. At the first timers breifing he said that they actually got 500 people turn up at the first event but has now levelled out at about 150 runners per week. At this point I noticed someone with a Giffnock North hoodie who I later found out was Rob who I got chatting to just before the start.

The course is 3 laps and follows the ambulance road which goes in a circle within a horse race track. It is actually a genius route as it is practically flat and wide enough for folk to overtake slower runners.  I enjoyed this run immensely and although the last lap I was struggling a bit, I was still pushing the pace. When I got about 200 meters from the end Rob was there and having already finished, he ran with me, encouraging me to dig in all the way to the end. Which I did and ended up with 29.15.  Not only my fastest run of the year. But my fastest run since last November.

The following week was the first time this year where I haven't done a parkrun it was simply down to me and not external factors such as the weather. I woke up feeling very tired that Saturday morning and I think it was down to travelling so much over the previous 2 weeks and not really getting a break. I cancelled all my plans for the day and recharged the batteries.

The next week I headed for Victoria parkrun. Which didnt have the best start as I suffered from anxiety when I was making the journey across. Meaning my head really wasn't in the best place when I started the run.  I had to run/walk half way into the second lap and finished in 33 minutes.

Then today I went to Troon parkrun with my Mum.  This run was so much better in every way. I felt controlled the whole way through and really hammered the final sprint. I could have gone faster but today wasn't about that. It was just about enjoying my running again after the previous week.  It was perfect conditions too and it's pancake flat as it goes up and down the promenade. Firstly it's a half mile out, half mile back. Then you go a mile out then a mile back. I was just off my Catterick time finishing in 29.17.

In terms of goals at the moment I think I'm going to try and do this 10 for 10 challenge which is doing 10 different parkruns in 10 different locations building up to more hilly parkruns.  But if I can build up to it I might throw in a 10k too.

No comments: