Sunday 22 April 2018

The unpredictability of the marathon

For a change I thought I'd do a combination of a general post and reflictive post about marathons. Not really surprisingly the reason for this is that over the last week the marathon distance really has been in the spotlight and it just got me thinking just how hard and unpredictable marathons are.  Firstly I'll look at Callums performance from last weekend.

Callum was only a few miles from home when he collapsed in the commonwealth marathon and was odds on for the gold medal. The commontators throughout were talking as if the medal was already around his neck as soon as he broke free from 2nd place. But the thing was even if he didn't collapse I don't think it was a certainty.  The reason for this is that pacing for an optimal marathon is so difficult no matter what your ability.  You can practice your marathon pace as much as you want in training. But the point is - you have never ran 26.2 miles at that pace until marathon day.  If you blow up at 24 miles it could add as much as 20 minutes to your time if you have to walk.

You could argue that the taper will take you to the start line as fresh as possible. But is there a way to get the taper absolutley spot on? The only way to do it is to run multiple marathons. Some people are lucky and nail marathon after marathon. But I think for the majority of us it is a bumpy road to success.  Just look at Monday's Boston marathon where the winners, although very good marathon runners. The winners were far from being favourites. But the common factor with these 2 marathons was that weather played a big factor. Commonwealth games was the heat while Boston was the wind and rain.

For my first marathon in London back in 2004, I was very inexperienced. Started too slowly, then tried to make up time as I wanted to go sub 4.  I went through half way feeling reasonalbly good in 2.07. Then at 14 miles I got cramp in both quads and had to jog/walk to a 4.48 finish. This was hard to take as my long runs in training went a lot better but now I realised I didn't do enough speedwork during the week or runs at marathon pace.

In 2009 I did the Loch ness marathon.  For this marathon I followed a sub 3.45 plan pretty much to the T.  I was in good shape having done the Helensburgh half marathon in 1.45. So I was in 3.45 shape. But getting to the line I had a different approach to this marathon. I had a watch but I didn't look at it the entire time.  The first mile I just tried to figure out a pace which I felt as if I could run all day at.  This made for a lot more enjoyable experience than London. I ran all the way to 22 miles then ran/walked the last 4 miles.  I finished in 4.07 which was a massive PB and I was happy.  It is an incredibly scenic course too.

The next year I did Lochaber marathon in Fort William.  I trained more than I ever had before and throughout February and March I was averaging between 50 and 60 miles a week.  I was also a member of Giffnock North. Meaning the sessions I was doing were very high quality. I didn't follow a Runners World plan this time though but I did have a plan in my head. This time during training I ran 1.36 at Alloa half marathon and I got up to running 15 mile tempo runs which was also my target marathon pace of sub 3.30.  It was an out and back course and the first half went well as I went out in bang on 1.45.  I started slowing at 18 miles and had to run/walk the rest finishing in 3.53. Still a massive PB and sub 4. But after all the training I would be lyng if I said I wasn't disappointed this time. But on reflection that 15 mile tempo run at marathon pace which I had built upto I found tough so I dont know why I expected to be able to do an extra 11 miles at that pace. This is something I have only really thought about recently and now the result makes more sense.

Every year at this time always does the same thing to me. It inspires me at least for a while. I'm not sure whether I ll do a marathon again. But if I do I will follow the same mentality as I did at Loch Ness and try and maximise enjoyment rather than go for a time.  The thing which draws me back to the marathon at the moment, is that whatever happens in the marathon. If you do the training, you are so much fitter than you were when you started out the training. Plus I do like medals and t-shirts.

I say all this about unpredicablity and then of course.........Kipchoge wins a marathon marathon........again today! :-)



No comments: