Sunday 26 January 2020

January parkruns

Happy new year!

To kick off the year it was parkrun double time.  I decided not to run 2 parkruns this year as I didn't think I was fit enough to do 2 back to back.  So instead I volunteered at Pollok and if I had enough time nip across to Tollcross and run there. So I was dressed ready to run and I pointed the car in the right direction to get to Tollcross. But I didnt know what time I would get away from Pollok so it was just wait and see.

Pollok was a bit quieter on new years day compared to Christmas day. I think the fact that Victoria and Strathclyde had early kick offs too helped. Where as on Christmas day these 2 were off.  Normally in my blog I go through I few people I either ran with or chatted with. But this was no normal day.  So many folk I knew and also quite a few who I met for the first time.  Being funnel manager for the day also meant I got to greet people as they just finished the run which was fun.  The last runner came in just over 40 minutes and the other funnel manager kindly took my marshal vest and I jogged to the car realising I should make it to Tollcross easy.

And I did with 15 minutes to spare.  Again Tollcross was full of people I knew. Some were doing the double and others who opted for a lie in and just did Tollcross. I say "Just" but its really a challenge even on its own!  There was over 400 people there today and I think it was a record for them.  I started a wee bit further back so took a bit of time to get going but I felt good all the way round and was picking up the pace just finishing in over 30 minutes.

The first Saturday of the year - the 4th - I woke up feeling rotten so just decided to leave parkrun today.

The next Saturday - the 11th - I was back on top of things again.  Although today was back to checking which parkruns were on as it was torrential rain.  I was wanting to go to Pollok rather than Queen's in this type of weather. Because in my mind I still cant bring myself to drive to Queen's as its just too close. But at the same time I'd rather not run to it then be hanging about in that weather before it starts.  Where as Pollok being a bit further away, I can drive too without feeling guilty and also swing by the shops on the way back and get food.

So when Pollok announced it was on I headed there.  The rain was coming down hard. But I found the worst of it was actually walking to the start.  It was a lot quieter than usual too so no issues finding my pace at the start.  There were a few big puddles which were unavoidable but fun to run through at the same time.  It was one of those days I thought I was running faster than I was but still 31 minutes isnt too bad this early on in the year.

The next Saturday was my birthday run - the 18th.  Again this was a dodgy weather day but this time it was unexpected.  I had it planned to go to Queen's today and meet up with Brian and a few others.  I woke up at 8.30 thinking I had till 9 to get ready.  Then I find out that half the parkruns, including Queen's are called off due to black ice. So it was off to trusty Tollcross who were running their 4 lap alternative course.  There is no doubting this is a tough course but I was just pleased it was on.  I made it round in 33 minutes but I would say I wasnt pushing it maybe as hard as I could have.

25th and the final parkrun of the month I headed to Linwood with my brother and his family.  Ken has been running well at the moment so I wasnt surprised when he took off at the start.  I was expecting about 30 minutes today but I was surprised how well I was feeling after the first lap, so I gradually increaesed the pace over the 2nd lap and found myself picking off a lot of people. Till the final straight where I felt good enough to sprint for home.  I was still surprised and happy to dip below 29 minutes - 28.55.

A lot of work to do if I want to get below a 30 minute average parkrun time this year but its still early days. I did 4/6 parkruns available so also a decent enough start.  I had planned to go to Queen's more this month and ended up not going there at all.  Hopefully get back there next month :-)


No comments: