Saturday 28 March 2020

March parkrun

Well this was to be a month unlike any other.  I can't remember the last time I went a whole month without running a parkrun but it must have been at least a few years ago.  But I feel the need to document for future why exactly I didn't run a parkrun this month.  

07/03 - I did go to Queen's parkrun as a volunteer where I marshalled.  Corona virus was starting to gather pace in the UK but the only advice at this stage was to wash your hands.  So token sorting meant bringing hand sanitizer and using it before and after sorting.  This was to be my last time attending a 5k parkrun and the last time volunteering at juniors the following day for the foreseeable future.  Looking back I am glad I spent the last 5 weeks at Queen's.  I have travelled a lot last year with parkrun but its nice to get into a routine of going to your home one.

14/03 - Parkrun was still on this weekend but corona virus was gathering even more pace and as well as washing your hands the advice was to basically not go near people or social distancing as its called now. This meant widened funnels.  Holding your barcodes and tokens when getting them scanned instead of giving them to the barcode scanners.  Or in my case the advice was if you feel unwell at all to stay away from parkrun. I didn't have corona virus symptoms but I wasn't feeling great so parkruns were advising just to stay away so that is what I did.

21/03 - This was expected.  But this was the first week where parkruns closed across the UK for 2 weeks which is now extended to the end of April.  They did a big quiz on Saturday morning to replace it. Which to be fair to the parkrun team was good.

28/03 - Then on the Monday after the last meant to be parkrun lockdown was announced. Only allowed out for one piece of exercise a day which is from where you are staying and one food trip a day.

All in the space of a month. Crazy times.  

No comments: