Friday 1 January 2021

2021 plans (?!)

 Yeah so traditionally this would layout exactly what I want to achieve in the year ahead but for obvious reasons this year its a little bit more tricky.  In the past few years my target has been to notch up as many parkruns as possible and by this stage I would have a number of trips booked in already for the summer. But even with the vaccine on the horizon, realistically I can't see races or parkruns happenning till at least summer at the very, very earliest.

So what to do then.  I don't think there is any point in making plans for the whole year but rather focus on want I want to do and improve upon over the next 4 months.  I did have an idea to maybe train for a virtual half at the end of April and that still is a possiblity.  But I need to change my routine to do that. The problem being I do like the routine I have got myself into last year.  And that was running 2, 3 lunchtimes during the week then on a Saturday too.  If I was to attempt training for a half that would mean I would have to extend my runs during the week which would mean I would have to run after work.  

The other thing I was thinking of doing was really trying to improve my 5k time.  What I have found in the past is though my 5k time improves the most when I train for longer distances.  So to do this again I would have to run after work and not at lunchtimes.  

I think the two aims kind of fit in with each other.  I know how easy it is though just to stay in after work.  But I think it is at least worth a try and see if I can get anywhere with the getting faster and going longer approach while keeping my 5ks on a Saturday.  If I find I'm not going out after work I can still resort to 5k lunchtime runs.

I'll still aim for averging under 30 mins for 5ks and I have another aim here of trying to run more than 20 sub 30 minute 5ks.

Happy new year and good luck with your own running goals if you have them

No comments: