Sunday 31 January 2021

January update

 I didn't bother with monthly updates during lockdown last year but I am doing one this month, mainly  to capture where I am at compared to the targets I set my self at the start of the year.  I did say I was going to aim to try and do longer runs and try and get my speed up again.  But really the weather had other plans this month and made it very difficult at times.  This was due to the amount of ice on the pavements and roads especially early in the month.  I don't really mind running in any weather but when there is ice this becomes a real challenge and can even be dangerous as my mum was to find out this month.  She unforetunatley fell on the ice just out for a walk and disclocated her shoulder.  She is fine but will take time to recover.

In terms of myself getting out I would often go out to see how far I get and sometimes due to black ice I wouldnt even make it out of my estate its been so bad.  I do have kathoola microspikes but really they only good if there is a layer of ice that the spikes can crunch into.   The other option was to go to where there is grass but for me that wasn't really feasible.  During lunchtimes I would have to take an extended, extended lunch break just to get there and back as well as run.  Then at night, even with a head torch, I don't fancy running around parks in the dark on my own.

But that's the downsides to this month, but there are plenty of positives.  For a start it wasn't icy all the time! :-) I did 11, 5ks this month.  4 of which were under 30 minutes with 3 of them coming in the last week thanks to the milder weather.  Fastest time was today where I zoomed round the perimeter of Queen's park twice, clocking 28.44.  Another 2 runs were seconds outside of getting under 30 mins. Also Including walks as well as the runs I did 15 (not) parkruns this month.  In terms of going longer I think I'll stick to 5ks just now as I still find them quite hard work so don't really feel ready to up the distance yet.  Also still in the depths of winter so who knows whats round the corner in terms of the weather.  But I'll try to keep things going like I did in January and lets hope for no more ice!

No comments: