Monday 28 December 2009

2009 Review

What a year its been for me!

This time last October 2008, I was just starting up running again after 4 years where I was just doing drips and drabs. I would still go to the gym and cycling but had no real goals. So for 2009 I set myself a target of doing a marathon by the end of the year. To start with I would train for the Balloch to Clydebank half marathon in March. This was a tough race and those last 4 miles it was tempting to walk but I managed to keep it going through the pain. I was happy with my time of 1.51 and made me more determined to complete a marathon. So I booked up for Loch Ness straight after it which was early October. April and May were just ticking over months and apart from the Balfron 10k I struggled to get motivated because my training plan didn't start till late June.

So I booked up for East Kilbride half marathon in June. Due to not having done much I took it easy on the first lap. But then I found I had so much more energy and blitzed the second lap and finished in 1.51 also. This was the turning point and got me motivated to start my training plan. Unlike London in 2004 where I did the long runs but did a max of 5 mile runs during the week. This time I followed a Runners World training plan pretty much to the T. I absolutley loved training for it. In August I did the Helensburgh Half marathon in 1.45. Which was by far my best performance of the year and I felt I could have gone on longer.

September was the most fun month for me as I had my 2 weeks off. Where I did 2 races - Mugdock trail race and Great Scottish run. I also supported by brother and fiance do the West Highland way. By taking there bags to the next destination and running back to meet them.

Then the big one in October - Loch Ness Marathon. After my first marathon experience in London in 2004 where I blew up at 14 miles and hobbled ran to the finish. This went brilliantly. I took it easy to start off with and the hills between 16-22 I nailed. I hit the wall after that but I didn't care. I finished in 4.07 which is a PB by 40 minutes. I know I am more than capable of running faster but this wasn't really about that. It was about enjoying my running again and get rid of the experience from London with new positive expereiences. Ones which I can take with me in future marathons.

In late October I decided to give my running a boost and to maintain it over winter. So I joined Giffnock North and have never looked back. Its great to run with people of similar pace and similar goals. In November and December - I completed my first hill race, cross country and club handicap. All great experiences and ones that I am looking forward to doing more of next year.

1 comment:

John Kynaston said...

Hi Stu

Thanks for your comment on my blog. I'll keep an eye out on your blog and look forward to seeing how you get on with your Marathons and ultra marathons.

If I can help at all don't hestitate to get in touch.

John