Sunday 27 December 2009

Lochaber Marathon Training week 1

Well this was a week with a difference!

After spending the last few months ticking my running over. This week was the return to an actual schedule. This is without doubt the best condition I have been in going into a training programme so I am excited to see just how good I can get. Having not done much endurance over the last few months, the aim for the week was to get back to doing longer runs as I have not done anything over 10 miles since Loch ness marathon in early October.

This was also a transition week as I finished up work on Tuesday which meant going from night runs to morning runs. Monday saw a thin layer of snow falling so I was pleased to get an easy 8.5 miles in. On Tuesday I had planned a light run at night so I could do an easy run on Wednesday morning and that would be the transition. However the weather decided otherwise as more snow fell meaning I didn't get home from work till half 7. So I decided just to take the night off and focus on running the next day. I still did an easy run and managed 10k in some tough conditions underfoot because of the snow. Thursday I went easy again and went towards Pollockshaws as I thought it would be easier going towards town and I was right. So managed just under 10 miles which I was pleased with.

Then Christmas day where I stayed up at my parents. I had planned to run to the park run, do it, then come back. But I got up slightly too late so just drove down and parked 1.5 mile away. Giving me a good warm up. I decided I wasn't going to race this as it was still snowy underfoot. But at the same time thought I'd try and go at tempo run pace. It was an altered course due to the conditions and it was a nice change. Also there was only about 30 people doing it because it was Christmas day. I set off at a steady pace and felt very comfertable going up and down the hills. Since it was an out and back route it was good to see the faster runners going the other way and also see who you were near. I was in a group of 3 which turned into 2 as we reached the foot of the hill on the return. It was a long climb back up but I still felt comfertable so pushed the pace a bit. At the corner you go in the opposite direction to the way you usually go and thought he might catch me going down the hill but no sign. I kept pressing on the steep up hill then sharp down hill until it flattens out alongside the Burrell collection. I was pleased with how comfertable it felt and even more pleased when I found out I was only 2 seconds outside my PB which felt a lot tougher. So 6 miles in total including the warm up and warm down.



It is not often where I hit 30 miles during the week so when Saturday came I wasn't too bothered whether I did my 5 miler or not. I helped out at the Park Run today where I did the timer. It is kind of the pressure job and I think is seen as the one which people have to earn by volunteering a lot. Being my ninth time it was nice to do it for a second time. It was a lot easier than last time too as there was only about 50 people running and as always it was a good laugh. I decided to take it easy for the rest of the day and save myself for tomorrows long run.

As usual I slept in, so didn't make it to the Club's long run. Whether it was actually on is anyone's guess! So I finally set off about 12. I decided to take the pressure off given the conditions and just see how far I could go. I did my tactic of heading towards town, to give me the best start possible and just took my time. Once I got out of Shawlands heading south, the snow just got deeper and deeper. Though the tempreture was actually fine and I could have easily got away with shorts. The toughest stretch was going past Roukenglen and up past Patterton station. You can't really run on the road here as the traffic goes too fast and the snow along with the climb it felt like I was going 2 mile an hour. At 8 miles which was Asda, I did it in 1 hour 21 minutes which given the conditions I was pleased with. I also now had a target of trying to get under 10 minute miles. I planned the route from here going in some back roads which helped. As it meant I could run on the road which almost felt like I was cheating because its so much easier than the snowy pavements. But when you think about it, its just how it would be normally! So after going up past Mearns Castle I was confident of completing the run and I did. Its great to be back doing long runs again and its good that I have not lost my endurance.

I am planning another easy run tomorrow and hopefully it will be ok given today's run but I'm not too bothered if its not. I'm pleased with the 45 miles I have done this week even if 95% was easy running. The aim of building up endurance has been fufilled. I plan on having another similar week this week, then start building in the tempo runs and the speed work with the club in the new year.

No comments: