Sunday 20 December 2009

20/12/09 - Club Christmas Handicap

Today was a race like none other I have entered before for a number of reasons.

1st - Its 4.6 miles
2nd - People start at different times based on ability
3rd - I reckon there was 20 people racing max!

I arrived in plenty of time for the 11am start running 2 miles from home to the club for my warm up. When I got there I was the 3rd person to arrive. So I got my number and checked out when I would be starting. To my surprise I was predicted to do it in 30 minutes 30 seconds! Now as much as I would absolutley love to be able to do it in that time, I checked out some calculators before the race and I would be happy to get under 35 minutes and thought I might be able to get below 34 minutes. I asked if the times were fixed and they were, so too late to change it. Just to give you an idea of where I was positioned in the pack. There are 5 training groups A-E with A group being the best. I train with group C and fit quite nicely into the middle of the group during sessions. My predicted time meant I was starting after most of the B group!

So mentally I just treated this race like any other and just focused on my own race. Baring in mind there was a strong chance I would get overtaken very early, the question was, how early! The conditions were actually very good considering it had been icy the last few days. A thin layer of snow overnight meant slipping was not a problem and provided some grip. The sun was out and there wasn't much wind. So after 10 minutes of watching people set off at intervals, I was off. I got into a good pace early and was pleased to get to over a mile without being overtaken! Heading up Clarston Road, I was being overtaken regularly by the 5 or so runners who set off behind me. When I got to Clarkston Toll, everyone had overtaken me and out of sight! I was just over half way and had 2 miles left. It was a really weird position to be in. I kept thinking, maybe someone elses handicap was off as much as mine or someone might have gone off too fast and be struggling. So I kept pushing up to Eastwood toll. It was really surreal moment when I realised I was wearing a number indicating that I'm in a race. But people passing would be wondereing who I m actually racing! lol. Then the last mile I realised I wasn't going to catch anyone and accepted what I knew was highly possible in the first place and that is that I would come in last. Funny thing is I really wasn't bothered. I have read quite a few stories about people coming last and the way I see it is someone has to be! So going into the finishing straight I had a big smile on my face (at least inside!) and came into everybody clapping which was nice.

It almost felt like a right of passage in the end, a kind of initiation into the club. I was pleased with my time of 34.29 which meant I was averaging about 7.24 a mile.

No comments: