Sunday 21 November 2010

Renfewshire XC and the magic of running

Another solid week. Monday I did my 10k loop which I'm gradually extending so its about 6.6 miles now. Usually I don't write much about these runs as generally there isn't much to write.  But I do love these runs. After a day at work it's great to get out for an hour, cruising round the streets and pressing the refresh button on my brain. Some how I have totally recovered from Tinto too and enjoyed every step of this run.

Tuesday I did a session which I haven't done in ages. After a mile warm up, I do 434 meter reps times 10. I started off easy and got quicker as the session went on.  Its actually a loop of just over 600 meters and I use the remainder to do a jog recovery. I was surprised when I got home to find that my fastest rep was at 7 minute mile pace and I averaged about 7.10 pace.  But this run was more than times, I managed to work through a few problems that were starting to get to me. Not only did I get perspective while running but also worked out a solution and felt so much better once I finished to when I started. Then it all came back to me why I started running again in the first place.

Wednesday I went out and did the 6.6 mile loop and felt good again.

Thursday at the club, I wasn't too sure what I was going to do as I had the Renfrewshire cross country at the weekend. The session this week was 3 times 2 mile, which is one hard sesssion. After speaking to a few people who were going to run on Saturday they said to just do 1 times 2 mile. So after a mile warm up, I was ready to go with the B group. The first half mile was down hill and I felt already like I was running at my threshold pace. The next half mile was up hill, which is usually my strength but tonight I was struggling to keep with the pace. One of the guys actually stopped to tie his shoelace and overtook me again before the end of the first mile. The second mile was flat/downhill and saw the other guys in the B group shoot off in the distance. I was gubbed and just pushed to the end knowing that it was my only rep. I managed 6.52 pace which if I remember right was what I averaged last time I did the session too, however last time I was more even paced.

Friday, I jogged 2 miles with Alex round the grassy paths of gogurburn. I had recovered fine from the short session on Thursday but the underfoot conditions made this a bit more effort than usual. Each step just sank right in and you could see that only one other person had made foot prints on the paths that day.

Saturday I went down to park run in the morning and gave out the numbers which was a good laugh. Then I went home, had some lunch then straight out to Gourock for the Renfewshire cross country. I've never been to Gourock that I can remember but I was told it was pretty hilly. I had memorised the route to Gourock High School and navigating was made even easier by the fact that when I got into Gourock, I looked up and there was the school at the top of the hill. I thought this is going to be fun! I got there and reported to base camp. It felt a lot quieter than other races I'd been to but still seemed to be a good turnout for the seniors race.

I went on more warm up and went round the course. Already I could see this was a very up and down course with only a few stretches of flat bits. There is one point where the course goes round this tower/monument thing and from it you had great views across the mouth of the Clyde and could see across to Arran. I made sure I made the most of the views in the warm up as I knew I wouldn't have time during the race.

We then assembled at the start and for a change the women would start with the men but would still do there usual 2 laps while the men did 3. I forgot my garmin, so no idea about lap splits. I got into a good pace, would totally let go down the hills and actually found myself overtaking down the hills. I had a pretty solid race and it felt like I maintained the pace across 3 laps. The only real basis I had on how I was doing was David M for Bella Harriers. He ran Bella 10k last week in just over 42 minutes so we are about the same standard. David took off ahead and I kept him in view. I managed to overtake him in the middle of the second lap, then put my focus on the next person on front, then the next. The last person I overtook was an Inverclyde runner in the middle of the 3rd lap. Unlike all the other people I overtook, I could not shake this guy off! His breathing was heavy and every time I thought I was getting away, his breathing got louder again as he gained on me.  The last bit of the course is a gradual down hill, then a long uphill. I pushed as hard as I could down the hill. Then on the uphill which is long, gradual and very slippy. I felt I was finally getting away on the uphill then once I was up I put on the sprint finish and was happy to finish. Shaked hands and caught up with a few folk.

This was probably the toughest XC I have done yet, i would probably say its about the same hillyness as Cumbernauld but because you are doing 5.6 miles instead of 4k this probably pips it. At the same time I do think these races suit me and I look forward to West Districts in 2 weeks time. On the way home I popped into Sweatshop to get my prize of a pair of running shoes. I was delighted when they had my size in 2150s! Had a good chat with fellow ultrarunner Gavin who works in there too and coincidently ended up speaking to a women who is friends with Vicky who I met at Clyde Stride. Small world!

Sunday I was thinking how my recovery would go. When I woke up I was surprised to feel fine so I decided to do my 6.6 mile loop. The difference with this run though was that right before it I did a 27 mile cycle up round the Eaglesham moors. So it was all up for the first half then mainly down for the second half. I enjoy this cycle and use to do it quite a bit. I use to be so close to doing this in 2 hours but that was the days I had a road bike. With strong winds and a mountain bike it was a lot tougher and I got round in just over 2 hours and 15 minutes. Unlike the road bike I felt I was putting a lot more effort on the down hills. But fitness wise I think this is going to very beneficial. Once I had finished on the bike, I got changed into my running gear and was back out. My legs were stiff and took 3 miles to shake off some of the soreness but all in all a great session!

No comments: